2015 Pinewood Derby cars and catpult

Status
Not open for further replies.

merrill77

Master Scrap Maker
Chris
Better late than never....

Ryan's car (Blue Flame) was modeled after my 2009 Mazda RX-8 R3. He roughed out the body on the bandsaw and scroll saw , and finished the shaping with a spokeshave and various sanders. Except for the number on the hood, he hand painted all the details.

Justin's car (Arrow of Lights) required him to learn basic soldering skills. He used the bandsaw, scrollsaw, spokeshave and various sanders to shape the body. The lights are powered by a 3V camera battery and the arrow is held on by two magnets. It can be removed to get access to the battery and wiring.

I built a working catapult that launches when it hits the track braking zone.

It looks pretty cool, but is really fun to see it in action, so I made a video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vl0oLiRrKk8

Last edited:

Obxwoody

New User
Andy
Wow those are awesome! Ours did not come out anywhere near so nice!! But I was excited my son used the tools and did a lot of the work on his. Partly my fault for not knowing more than 5 days in advance....I'm inspired can we start building for next year already?

merrill77

Master Scrap Maker
Chris
....I'm inspired can we start building for next year already?

The relevant rule is: the car must be built by the scout in the current scouting year. Summer activities are considered part of the following year, so my understanding is that you can start immediately after the last official event for your pack for this year. As an example, our last event (advancement ceremony / rocket derby) is Jun 6, so Ryan can start on June 7.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors