175 Woodworking books for free

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
I checked with the powers that be and they agreed this would be a good addition to the Link Library. I'll add it for you. :icon_thum:icon_thum

JimmyC

New User
Jimmy
Tommy , thanks for the posring this is a great library !:icon_thum:icon_thum:icon_thum:icon_thum

Martin Roper

Martin
Senior User
Just at random I opened Woodwork Joints; How they are Set Out, How Made and Where Used and perused several of the joints described therein, and came upon something called the Bevelled Dovetailed Half Lap (fig. 47).

Am I nuts, or is that joint physically impossible?! How does one push the fat end of the male portion of the dovetail through the skinny end of the female end? Is this some M.C. Escher optical illusion?

:icon_scra

Gofor

Mark
Corporate Member
Just at random I opened Woodwork Joints; How they are Set Out, How Made and Where Used and perused several of the joints described therein, and came upon something called the Bevelled Dovetailed Half Lap (fig. 47).

Am I nuts, or is that joint physically impossible?! How does one push the fat end of the male portion of the dovetail through the skinny end of the female end? Is this some M.C. Escher optical illusion?

:icon_scra

The bottom of the dovetailed top piece is sloped and is as wide as the large end of the dovetail. The dovetailed piece is slipped into the joint with the surface lower than the mating piece, as it rides up the ramp, the dovetail rises into the mating cut and into place. easy joint to pull apart as you just push down and pull back.

Go

Martin Roper

Martin
Senior User
OK, I see the sloped part now. I guess I was trying to wrap a 2D brain around a 3D concept.

What a PITA that looks to be to make. It makes me wonder how few of those were ever attempted in the history of woodworking.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors