Search results

1. petebucy4638

Paste Wax Replacement

I still have at least one can of Johnson's Paste Wax on the shelf. There are many waxes that should be a good substitute for Johnson's. Collinite 476 is a paste wax, and Collinite Insulator Wax is a liquid wax are just two waxes that I have used on my table saw, band saw, planer, jointer, and...
  2. petebucy4638

Framing Hammer old vs new- mini rant

For years, I was a big fan of Plumb hammers. The old ones are good, but the newer ones that I saw a few years back look like they were made in China.
  3. petebucy4638

Framing Hammer old vs new- mini rant

I'll stick with my Hart framing hammer. I love wooden handles, and the hammer is perfectly balanced for me.
  4. petebucy4638

Shop Fox vises on sale at Grizzly <$50

For the most part, the racking is not a big problem. It is more of an irritant, especially when compared to my Jorgensen vise. I have a smaller vise that is not currently installed, not a name brand, and it has no issues with racking.
  5. petebucy4638

Gluing up exotics?

Acetone and denatured alcohol, in my experience, are both pretty good degreasers. I have tended to use denatured alcohol for gluing up exotics. I never had a problem; maybe I just got lucky.
  6. petebucy4638

Best all-around finish?

For wood turning projects, Tried & True Varnish Oil has become my go-to finish. It has no solvents, no appreciable odor, and it produces a very nice, natural finish.
  7. petebucy4638

Shop Fox vises on sale at Grizzly <$50

This is one of two vises that I have on my main workbench. It is a decent vise for most projects, but unlike my Jorgensen vise, the vise does not apply force equally across the jaws of the vise. If you place what you are clamping on the right or left side of the vise, the vise opening will...
  8. petebucy4638

The Hardwood Store of North Carolina Grand Opening Event

Do you have their address?
  9. petebucy4638

Specific mechanism of spiral catches/runbacks with skew on beading cuts

The bevel angle that you chose for your skews can have an impact on catches too. A couple of my skews are ground with very sharp angles, compared to the rest of my skews. They are great for cutting end grain and making small detail cuts, but they are very grabby when it comes to using them for...
  10. petebucy4638

Over the top shop!

Where's all the sawdust and wood chips?
  11. petebucy4638

Negative rake scrapers?

FYI. D-Way Tools has a great selection of M42 negative rake scrapers in sizes for boxes and bowls.
  12. petebucy4638

Saw file handle

Making tool handles is one of my favorite things to do with a lathe. Very nicely done.
  13. petebucy4638

Sycamore bowl

Those are very uniform beads! Very nice.
  14. petebucy4638

Knockout bar upgrade

The knockout bars on both of my lathes are steel. I upgraded them to HSS, just to have the excuse to make some wood handles for the new bars. I could see where a brass end could be an advantage.
  15. petebucy4638

Negative rake scrapers?

One of the selling points of negative rake scrapers is that they are safer than traditional scrapers, and that is very likely true. I avoid using scrapers as much as possible. But here are situation where you just can't get bowl gouge in to. If you are making boxes with flat bottoms, you are...
  16. petebucy4638

Dust Collection - Velocity Stack

I'm guessing that this is no big secret among wood turners, but I just found out about it recently after watching one of Mike Peace's YouTube videos. I used a 4", aluminum, velocity stack that is available on Amazon, with a 4" neoprene adapter. I have no way of measuring if it actually...
  17. petebucy4638

What moron designed this!

But it's made from genuine Red ChiTanium!
  18. petebucy4638

Do not confuse setup blocks with gauge blocks

"Ohio?" That name sounds familiar, is it a suburb of Beijing?

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS