Search results

1. R

Rikon 70-1824 lathe

Thank you, sir... another tip... dont be like me. Get some help to unload and assemble that beast. I did not. I picked it up locally here at Klingspoor and drove it back, had to unpack in the back of my truck and unload piece by piece and assemble in my shop. Thought I was going to...
  2. R

Rikon 70-1824 lathe

I have one. Have had it for around a year and yes, the only review that I found was the one. Likes and dislikes. Let me first quantify with that I have only owned two other lathes. A Nova Comet 2 DR and a smaller midi Rikon. I went with the 1824 after my experience with customer support...
  3. R

5 W'S - Who What Where When & Why

I'll play... I'm Rob.. out in Western NC. I do blacksmithing, knifemaking, wood turning and some charcuterie boards and whatever else that catches my eye. Not great at any of it... Been looking at laser engravers so I may tag you on IM for some questions if you dont mind!
  4. R

It's almost time (Raffle Smack Talk Thread)

Future ad in the classifieds... For Sale.. Grizzly 14 inch bandsaw. Priced to sell as I dont need it any more because I won the Rikon band saw.
  5. R

Trim Router Table *Found new home*

That's a bit of a trek, but if we can figure it out... it's yours, sir
  6. R

Trim Router Table *Found new home*

Small router table for a trim router. Got it and never used it, ended up getting a larger router table. Hoping someone here can use it. No charge, just take it. Faceplate is for a Makita router. Barnardsville area
  7. R

Not quite a new woodworker in Marshall, NC

Sounds good, sir. Not sure how much of a 'wood worker' I am, but I do turnings, some charcuterie boards and blacksmithing/knifemaking. Still relatively new to all this.
  8. R

Not quite a new woodworker in Marshall, NC

Welcome. I'm just down the road in Barnardsville. Most of my family is from Marshal
  9. R

Tool Identification - specialty pliars

I think this.... They look awful short for blacksmith tongs. Would singe your hand pretty good using those for such. That said, I have made several shorter tongs for smaller work. I can use them blacksmithing, they just arent NEAR as comfortable to use as full sized tongs. That forge...
  10. R

Wooden Cups

I have turned several small shot glasses and have used walnut oil mixed with powdered pine rosin. They turned out ok and didnt leak.
  11. R

Box Elder Burl Platter

Great stuff, T. I've experimented with some dyes and havent quite been able to master it yet. Thanks for the site... a new place to send my money! I'd not heard of them, but already eyeing a few pieces there.
  12. R

Rikon lathe 220v help...

Morning, sir. I got mine from Klingspoor, but did have to order it. Took a month or so to get in. I looked all over for one and didnt see one so ordered sight unseen. As far as likes and dislikes, I cant think of any negative other than you will need another person so help unload and set...
  13. R

Rikon lathe 220v help...

and that seems to be the standard response... 'it'll work and has for a long time, but I cant recommend it'... haha I may just go ahead and tape off the N at the plug and forego the accessory plug. I've had the lathe now for several months and have yet to use it for a light. I've got very...
  14. R

Rikon lathe 220v help...

Yes.... you are correct, sir and I suppose I should have updated this thread. Rikon admitted that the manual was in error. I've still not changed the plug over as it will require me to run another ground. I only ran a 3 wire bundle in preparation after seeing the manual. I've tied the white...
  15. R

New member from Candler NC

Welcome... I'm a little north of you in Barnardsville. Havent yet figured out what I want to specialize in, either. I do blacksmithing, knifemaking, wood turning and other various trinkets.
  16. R

New Member form Weaverville, NC.

Welcome... Just a touch north of you in Barnardsville here. Wood turning, blacksmithing, knifemaking is where I concentrate time. I have a nice scroll saw and hoping to incorporate that, but as of yet.. I've not delved into it!
  17. R

I’ve been practicing and learning as I go!

Just ordered a pyro kit last night, in fact. Wanted a way to sign projects without using a sharpie. Nice to see there are other applications for this as well and one is only limited by talent/skill! Great work
  18. R

Simple Wall Display Project

99% of the steel I use is 1084, 1095 or 5160. Those are the easiest to heat treat. I'm just not set up for stainless.
  19. R

Simple Wall Display Project

Had gotten a request from a lady for her grandson (soon to be born) on a project for a wall hanger. Parents wanted a 'cowboy theme' display and wanted it rustic. 'Rustic' is in my wheelhouse so I took it on. Had some old pallet wood I'd been keeping. Snagged a small hat and boots. Gave them...
  20. R

Trip planned to Asheville/Weaverville area

True... I grew up in Weaverville and I always forget about Vance Birthplace. Never been to Cormark though. Need to drop in some time. As to Stony Knob Cafe. Funny... back when I was a kid, it was called Stony Knob Restaurant and it was a little dump. They changed to 'cafe' and cleaned...

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS