Search results

1. brenthenze

placement/wiring of multiple-circuit receptacles

Wiring, wiring, wiring! Every woodworker I've ever talked with about this has said that more circuits and more receptacles are better than less. So I'd planned to have two 110v circuits on each of my long walls, each with a half dozen duplexes. So the first thing I did was buy a couple rolls...
  2. brenthenze

arc fault circuit breakers

All, I'm in the midst of wiring my new shop, and I wonder if anyone has had either good or bad experiences using arc fault circuit breakers. I don't think that they're required in my application, but I'd thought about using them for the added measure of safety. However, somewhere I read that...
  3. brenthenze

shop HVAC

There's been a lot of discussion lately about dust control, and I have a question somewhat related to that. In my new building (which is stand-alone and will be insulated), I'm going to need to have some sort of heating and air conditioning--either window a/c units and space heaters or an...
  4. brenthenze

"tool" gloat: a new (old) workbench

Okay, this is my first tool gloat (and it's only a tool in the broad sense). I was in ReTool (in Greenville NC) the other day--making the usual rounds--and saw this maple workbench, in all its ragged glory. Since my almost-finished new shop doesn't have any benches yet (and my old bench is...
  5. brenthenze

flashing shop-built windows

All, The roof's on the new shop (finally), and I'm gearing up to build the windows and doors. But I'm not sure if I understand properly how to flash them so that they're properly integrated with the Tyvek. For the windows, I had intended to build the frames and casings...
  6. brenthenze

new barn/workshop: the easy half is finished!

All, Thought some of you might like to see pictures of the new barn/workshop as it goes up. So far I'm about halfway done, but it's the easier half: the slab (which I hired someone else to do), the walls, and the second story floor (aka first story ceiling joists). Three trusses are up, but...
  7. brenthenze

shop doors: sliding or hinged?

Hi all, Happy to report that my new barn/shop project is finally underway--the concrete crew has just about completed the formwork and hopefully they'll be ready to pour on Friday. I still haven't decided whether to use a sliding door (on tracks, sort of like the big door on Norm's shop) or...
  8. brenthenze

siding: Hardie-plank or cypress?

Hi all, Has anyone out there used Hardie-plank siding before? I'm deciding between hardi-plank (painted "country lane red") and oiled cypress (natural finish) for my new barn. The Hardie-plank is somewhat less expensive up front (about $3700 for pre-finished cypress; about $2700 for...
  9. brenthenze

New barn/shop questions

Seeing Flyrod's impressive new building has me itching all the more to get to work on mine this summer! I spent this week figuring out the financing and talking with the building inspector, environmental health folks, and zoning guy. And I've finally settled on a source for barn plans. But...
  10. brenthenze

new construction barn/woodshop

Hey all, I'd posted a message a couple years ago (hard to believe) about a new shop project. Well, I'm one of those "slow planners." But the time has come--this summer, come **** or high water, I'm gonna build the darn thing! Unfortunately, I have also gone from being reasonably fit and...
  11. brenthenze

Sweetgum or spalted Maple?????

...or maybe Sweetgum? Gum has that swirled vanilla/chocolate look (which looks like spalting but isn't).
  12. brenthenze

8" jointer: 2hp or 3hp?

Hi all, I think I'm going to bite the bullet and buy myself an 8" jointer by the end of the summer, and I'm weighing the advantages and disadvantages of the two new Grizzly models: G0490 (3hp) and G0586 (2hp). The one I like most is the 0490 (3hp), partly because of the extra horsepower but...
  13. brenthenze

first attempt at carving

In case I can help anyone to feel MUCH better about their own carving skills, I've posted some pics of a picture frame that I just made--my first attempt at carving. Apologies for the (mercifully) poor picture quality. Here's a link to the gallery...
  14. brenthenze

four- (or three-)jaw chucks for a midi-lathe?

Hi all, I picked up a Delta midi-lathe awhile back on clearance, and I'd like to add a decent chuck so that I can try doing some small bowls, goblets, etc. Any suggestions on what's a good chuck for this purpose? Anything I should watch out for? I haven't used one before, but I see that...
  15. brenthenze

New gallery

Dunno if "Hey, look at my new gallery" is an appropriate use of this forum, but "Hey, look at my new gallery!" http://www.ncwoodworker.net/gallery/browseimages.php?c=107 Happy to have found this great web community, Brent
  16. brenthenze

buying/building a freestanding shop/barn?

Okay, this is only sort of a "buying/selling" question. I'm going to be in the market for a new shop soon. Right now, my whole shop is an 8'x20' shed, which means I set up a tool, use it, put it away, set up another tool, use it, etc. (stepping over chainsaws, lawnmowers, and gas cans the...

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS