Search results

1. brenthenze

Asheville CL: Performax 22-44 PRO Drum Sander - $1200 (Mars Hill, NC)

Dang--how can you pass it up? I'm 5 hours away and seriously thinking about it if it's available.
  2. brenthenze

placement/wiring of multiple-circuit receptacles

My reason for wanting to alternate circuits is just that in normal use, people don't really distribute the load evenly around the room--they tend to plug stuff in in clumps. (Over the workbench is probably a high-concentration area; there are probably others, too.) While theoretically one...
  3. brenthenze

placement/wiring of multiple-circuit receptacles

Wiring, wiring, wiring! Every woodworker I've ever talked with about this has said that more circuits and more receptacles are better than less. So I'd planned to have two 110v circuits on each of my long walls, each with a half dozen duplexes. So the first thing I did was buy a couple rolls...
  4. brenthenze

arc fault circuit breakers

Thanks for all of this excellent advice. I'll forego the AFCIs (your comments confirm what I'd read somewhere before: that saws and other brush-type motors can needlessly trip AFCIs), since the local code doesn't require them. My shop doesn't have plumbing, so the only places where GFCIs are...
  5. brenthenze

arc fault circuit breakers

All, I'm in the midst of wiring my new shop, and I wonder if anyone has had either good or bad experiences using arc fault circuit breakers. I don't think that they're required in my application, but I'd thought about using them for the added measure of safety. However, somewhere I read that...
  6. brenthenze

shop HVAC

Thanks for all the great advice...it sounds like I should bite the bullet and just get the HVAC. Even with good insulation, the area is going to be too big for a window unit to help much. The square footage of the main shop (insulated) area is 768 s.f., but it's also an extra-tall room--I used...
  7. brenthenze

shop HVAC

There's been a lot of discussion lately about dust control, and I have a question somewhat related to that. In my new building (which is stand-alone and will be insulated), I'm going to need to have some sort of heating and air conditioning--either window a/c units and space heaters or an...
  8. brenthenze

"tool" gloat: a new (old) workbench

Here's the corporate website for the ReTool chain; this shows the nationwide locations. According to this site, the Greenville location is the only one in NC. However, this information is obviously outdated, since for at least the eight years that I've lived here, the store's location has been...
  9. brenthenze

Woodman: it's 24x30, plus a side shed (open, but it sould be boxed in) of 10x30. The I-joists are 14" deep, 16" o.c.. You're welcome to take a look at the whole picture series at my Ofoto page...
  10. brenthenze

Actually, no, not the ReStore (though that's a great spot to check for stuff too). It's "ReTool"--a used tool store. The one in Greenville is located at the corner of Greenville Blvd. and Mall Road, right across the street from the Ruby Tuesday's (about a mile east of Lowes). For all you...
  11. brenthenze

Cleaning shop...

Since we're talking about critters in the shop, I must share a couple pictures of my Shop Pet. She's been hanging around (ahem) off and on for the past couple summers. As long as she doesn't decide to drop on my head while I'm sawing, she can stay! (Funny...haven't seen any rats around!)...
  12. shopsnake1

shopsnake1

13. shopsnake2

shopsnake2

14. shopsnake3

shopsnake3

15. brenthenze

I'm going to leave the bench pretty much as it is, aside from tightening up the joints a bit. The bottom "tray" will be replaced (it's been replaced before--it's just a piece of particle board in there now), and I think I'll add a tighter-fitting piece down there and L-clip it into the frame...
  16. brenthenze

Okay, this is my first tool gloat (and it's only a tool in the broad sense). I was in ReTool (in Greenville NC) the other day--making the usual rounds--and saw this maple workbench, in all its ragged glory. Since my almost-finished new shop doesn't have any benches yet (and my old bench is...
  17. Interior with windows cut out

Interior with windows cut out

Windows cut out, so now I can see what it'll look like in here with natural light
  18. I can't wait to start using this bench!  The first thing it'll be used for

I can't wait to start using this bench! The first thing it'll be used for

19. The building's first two occupants: a used radial arm saw (covered in the b

The building's first two occupants: a used radial arm saw (covered in the b

20. I cut out all the door and window openings in preparation for the house wra

I cut out all the door and window openings in preparation for the house wra

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS