Damaged blade on Bandsaw?

Gary_C

New User
Gary
I have a Rikon 14" Band Saw. One of the green ones right before they switched to blue. I haven't used it since last fall when I had a bit of a mis-hap. I was sawing some tree branches into smaller segments that would fit into my little fire pit. Heard a bang...maybe hit a knot...the wood kicked back a bit and the blade popped off the fly wheel.

I finally need to use the saw and trying to fit the blade back on the saw. Got it on and turn the flywheel by hand and hear some rubbing. A certain portion of the blade is rubbing on the guides. When looking closer at the blade coming off the flywheel you can see the blade begin to lean to the left and rub on the guide after a foot or so then it bends to the right and rubs on the other guide...then runs true for the rest of the rotation.

Is this blade damage and needs to be replaced? Or should it straighten up with more tension on the blade?

Obviously, I'm kind of new to tuning up a band saw....

Roy G

Roy
Senior User
Gary, I have done similar mischief to band saw blades and although the one you have will cut, it will not do so smoothly. It would be best to replace that blade.

Roy G

Oka

Casey
Corporate Member
Yup, replace the blade. I do not think anyone I have ever met had the tooling to fix a blade kink......... the blade it just cheaper

bob vaughan

Bob Vaughan
Senior User
Casey and Roy have it.
I've had many bandsaw "bang" events when casually crosscutting round stock with the same result.
That "bang" is the classroom bell in the school of hard knocks.

Last edited:

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS