It this possible? A challange?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SteveColes

Steve
Corporate Member
Given the feedback that clowman got from some of the recipients of last year's pen turning project, I was wondering if it would be possible to create a pen that met the following specs.

1. Everything not wood but visible would be a flat black
  2. The pen would large and hefty, Cigar?
  3. The blank would be clearly made from wood, but somehow, it's color and/or pattern would match the current BDUs. I think they now call that Desert or Urban.
  4. The finish, would be highly durable, but have a satin gloss.
It seems that there are 4 parts to this.

1. Identify which kit(s) meet the needs.
  2. Identify a finishing method(s)
  3. And of course the really hard part, inventing a way to do the blanks
  4. Production of a batch of these blanks
Is this a contest? I don't really know, but if it is, I would be happy to put up a suitable prize(s), whatever that means.

DaveO

New User
DaveO
1. Several of the pen kit manufactures make a tactile kit which is flat black and rubberized. Or you could use a Black Enamel kit.

2. Satin lacquer makes a nice matte finish, and it's durable. Or a CA finish can not be polished all the way.

3.It would be fairly easy to do the blanks with a scroll saw and wood blanks of the colors that you want..Walnut, Olivewood, Persimmon, Oak etc. Or there are several flavors of acrylic blanks that would work also.

4. How many? I don't think a easy repeatable method could be used, that I can think of, but several could be made similar and in a short period of time. Of course I am not Eagle, he can make the impossible repeatable 8-O 8-O

Not exactly what you are looking for but showing a flat black kit and satin finish with the military in mind -
Copy_of_Pens_271.jpg

Dave:)

Last edited:

Eaglesc

New User
Eagle
:eusa_thin:eusa_thin:eusa_thin:eusa_thin:eusa_thin:eusa_thin:eusa_thin:eusa_thin:eusa_thin:eusa_thin:eusa_thin:eusa_thin:eusa_thin:eusa_thin:eusa_thin:eusa_thin:eusa_thin:eusa_thin:eusa_thin:eusa_thin

Post a picture of the BDU pattern scaled to fit the length of pen tubes in desired style of kit.
Cigar,Parker modifed kit of any sort.
copy wrap around a wooden core that has been turned undersized.
Finish with CA and scuff with steel wool.
Powder coat fittings flat black
assemble pen.
What's your next "challenge"?:eusa_whis

Last edited:

DaveO

New User
DaveO
:eusa_thin:eusa_thin:eusa_thin:eusa_thin:eusa_thin:eusa_thin:eusa_thin:eusa_thin:eusa_thin:eusa_thin:eusa_thin:eusa_thin:eusa_thin:eusa_thin:eusa_thin:eusa_thin:eusa_thin:eusa_thin:eusa_thin:eusa_thin

Post a picture of the BDU pattern scaled to fit the length of pen tubes in desired style of kit.
Cigar,Parker modifed kit of any sort.
copy wrap around a wooden core that has been turned undersized.
Finish with CA and scuff with steel wool.
Powder coat fittings flat black
assemble pen.
What's your next "challenge"?:eusa_whis

I didn't even think of casting the printed pattern in PR. That would work excellent also, but not nearly as fast as Eagle's suggestion.
Dave:)

Sharp Blade

New User
Anna-Catherine
This is how Fisher Pens did their military pen. I know this is NOT what we're looking to do. Just an FYI!

Anna-Catherine

Attachments

• 312.jpg
    312.jpg
    7.1 KB · Views: 158

Eaglesc

New User
Eagle
""A carpenter should possess a full set of tools, and in the selection of these it is important to buy only the best regardless of cost."
- Audels Carpenters and Builders Guide #1 Chapter 6 Carpenter's Tools pg. 95. "
:eusa_thin :eusa_thin:eusa_thin:eusa_thin:eusa_thin:eusa_thin:eusa_thin:eusa_thin:eusa_thin:eusa_thin:eusa_thin:eusa_thin:eusa_thin:eusa_thin:eusa_thin:eusa_thin:eusa_thin:eusa_thin:eusa_thin
I don't think they had HArbor Freight back then

Last edited:

FredP

Fred
Corporate Member
""A carpenter should possess a full set of tools, and in the selection of these it is important to buy only the best regardless of cost."
- Audels Carpenters and Builders Guide #1 Chapter 6 Carpenter's Tools pg. 95. "

I don't think they had HArbor Freight back then

:rotflm: :rotflm: :rotflm: :rotflm: :rotflm: :rotflm: :gar-La; :gar-La; :gar-La; :gar-La; . sceuse me wile i wipe the coffee from my monitor!

fred p

Sharp Blade

New User
Anna-Catherine
From my first post
"3. The blank would be clearly made from wood"

I realized that would be the idea. But, even pen giants like Parker, Fisher and the like, can't seem to come up with anything like that. I see that Dymondwood even has a camo pen blank, but it's NOTHING like what you guys are talking about. I wonder if putting together little 1/8" pieces of different woods in these camo colors, then building them up into a turnable blank. I don't know, but I used to able to make checker board designs using polyclay this way.

cskipper

Cathy
You could cut a complex pattern with a scroll saw - with curves, dips and such. Turn is 45 degrees and do the same. Stack cut different pieces of wood and then clue them back up into a block and turn it.

Eaglesc

New User
Eagle
You could cut a complex pattern with a scroll saw - with curves, dips and such. Turn is 45 degrees and do the same. Stack cut different pieces of wood and then clue them back up into a block and turn it.
It would be easier to turn it 90 degrees.
for 45 it would have to be a hexagon.
ALso it would need to be a "stack cut and remove part of the pattern on the top and move it to the bottom., reglue.
Even then the desired effect would be hit or miss.
This is and example of the effect and it is relatively easy to do.
Deer_collided_002_Small_.jpg

cskipper

Cathy
You're right, 90 degrees would be easier. Now you are making me want to experiment and John has temporarily made my part of the shop a finishing room so I can't make any dust. :BangHead:

Gofor

Mark
Corporate Member
I think should be doable. The purpose of a camouflage "pattern" is to break up the outlines of the object and not to have a pattern. The colors used are those found in the background, mimicing the shadows and shades as well as the highlights. If there are any straight lines, they are broken up and not parallel (natural angles which are rarely 90 or 45 degrees). Speckles or splotches are fine, as are irregular rounded color edges.
Based on the above, I would think a laminated blank cut on a bias, and with the laminates cut so the thickness varies (i e "s" curved but with the "s" running opposite on each surface of the laminate. Woods with a distinct straight grain pattern would probably defeat the camo theme to some extent as they would add parallel lines.
Depending on the locale they are going to, the colors could be different, but black, brown (in all its shades) and grays would match most locals for something as small as a pen. (Exception being the arctic where grays, whites, and blues are more appropriate). Green is often used but is not a common wood color. Gray could be had by fuming some species or using iron-rich water on high tannic-acid woods before finish.
A non gloss or variable gloss finish would be better than shiny.

Just some thoughts thrown into the melting pot.

Go

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS