Band Saw FPM

Hmerkle

Board of Directors, Development Director
Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
I see a lot of variance on the recommended FPM for a bandsaw. (1,000 to 3,000)
is there a definitive FPM for a general wood cutting bandsaw? (might be re-sawing, might be cutting curves...)

Next, this is a 16" Walker Turner (assuming the wheels are 16")
The drive pully (on the lower wheel) is 9 1/2" diameter.

I have a motor that is 3450 RPM (This may not work and I might have to find a 1725 RPM motor)

My question is how to calculate the right size motor pully to create the right RPM on the 9 1/2" saw pully to create the right FPM on the blade.

I can figure out the small pully to large pully relationship using: Pulley Calculator. RPM, Belt Length, Speed, Animated Diagrams - Inch
But a 16" diameter wheel turning at XXX RPM yields YYY FPM on the bandsaw blade...

Thanks in advance.

FredP

Fred
Corporate Member
Do you know what RPM the original motor was? I wouldn't second guess the manufacturer. OWWM might have the original specs including pulley diameters.

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
I looked for band saw feet per minute recommended and found 3000 was most often quoted for wood.

Even walker turner gives a FPM range:

In other words, it’s probably along the lines of what works best for the particular application. I think it may be worth experimenting with what works best for you.
Those slower speeds are for soft metal and steel.

bob vaughan

Bob Vaughan
Senior User
Walker Turner saws were all over the map. An end goal of 3000to 3500 fpm will work just fine. Run it too fast and you'll have to get real fussy about balance. too slow, and it will cut slow.

1      wt  1 copy.jpg 1      wt  2 copy.jpg

bob vaughan

Bob Vaughan
Senior User
Moak at one time offered full sized band saws (36" wheels) with a choice of 5420 FPM, 8250 FPM, and 10850 FPM. Industrial grade band saws generally ran faster than the smaller band saws. My 20" saw runs at 4500 fpm, but I've got a couple of 14s that run in the 3000 range. Go figure.

Moak.jpg

chris_goris

Chris
Senior User
((3450/pulley ratio)* (pi*D))/12 = FPM where D is bandsaw wheel diameter in inches. Pulley ratio is determined by driven pulley diameter divided by driving pulley diameter.

Last edited:

tvrgeek

Scott
Corporate Member
Faster is probably smoother as long as you have the HP. My guess. My Harvey C-14 , 3 HP, spec is 3345. Speed was probably determined by standard size sheaves.

Hmerkle

Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
((3450*pulley ratio)* (pi*D))/12 = FPM where D is bandsaw wheel diameter in inches. Pulley ratio is determined by driven pulley diameter divided by driving pulley diameter.
Thanks Chris -
Can you double check - I think that works, except the Pully ratio should be driving pully divided by driven pully - the second calculation
1679573981553.png

In if a 1.75" diameter pully can drive the 9" pulley without slipping on start-up, I should get 2800 FPM...

ssmith

New User
Scott
A 2" diameter pulley on a 3450 RPM motor gives me 3042 FPM blade speed.

Isn't 2" pretty small to drive a conventional v-belt? May be better to go with the slower motor (1725 RPM) and a 4" pulley.

Hmerkle

Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
A 2" diameter pulley on a 3450 RPM motor gives me 3042 FPM blade speed.

Isn't 2" pretty small to drive a conventional v-belt? May be better to go with the slower motor (1725 RPM) and a 4" pulley.
Agreed Scott, problem is, I HAVE a 1 1/2 HP 3450 RPM motor... UGH!

ssmith

New User
Scott
Agreed Scott, problem is, I HAVE a 1 1/2 HP 3450 RPM motor... UGH!
Might be possible to increase the size of the driven pulley, allowing you to use larger drive pulley too.

Of course, you could also use this as a good excuse to UPGRADE the bandsaw to a new, improved version. LOL.

Hmerkle

Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
Of course, you could also UPGRADE the bandsaw to a new, improved version. LOL.
UPGRADE? what is this magic you speak of?
NOPE, I purposely hunted this OLD ARN down and spent REAL money to buy a non-working piece of cast iron!

FredP

Fred
Corporate Member
Hank, call me later today. After 6 before 9 ;) .
I have a couple of motors laying around and just might have something in the 1740 rpm range. I gotta look.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS