Hand cut dovetails.

Jeff

New User
Jeff
I spent 4-5 hours with Graywolf learning how to make hand cut dovetails in a one-on-one class at his home. It was excellent and I learned a lot of subtle things about dovetails and how to make them. Practice, practice, and more practice.

Contact Graywolf via PM.

Graywolf

Board of Directors, President
Richard
Staff member
Corporate Member
I didn't take any photos that day, however, Jeff went home with two samples that he worked on as a study guide, and went with a third that he started to finish at home. We also, spent time working on his handsaw technique and fundamentals.

Jeff

New User
Jeff
I didn't take any photos that day, however, Jeff went home with two samples that he worked on as a study guide, and went with a third that he started to finish at home. We also, spent time working on his handsaw technique and fundamentals.

It was all instructive for me because I've mostly used power tools and a chisel to pare a tenon. Using hand tools exclusively is much more delicate work. Here are a few pictures as requested.

The first test exercise with Richard's instruction and critique. I got over the baselines as expected.

P1010032.png

P1010033.png

The second test exercise. Still trying to get the baselines to look seamless. More practice is needed.

P1010034.png
P1010035.png

2 new boards in my home shop (not the 3rd set that Richard sent home with me). Layed out the lines for the tails and pins and cut them with a new dovetail saw then try to pare to the lines with chisels. Patience and going slow is a must.

Still not a seamless fit for appearance, but mechanically the dovetails are locked so it could suffice for a cabinet or drawer. I may plane the pins and tails flush and add a finish to see what they look like.

P1010037.png
P1010001.png

Last edited:

Hmerkle

Board of Directors, Development Director
Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
@Jeff Some great learning there and AWESOME progress! (keep at it) the only way to get better is practice, practice, practice!

Jeff

New User
Jeff
(keep at it) the only way to get better is practice, practice, practice!

That's what experienced dovetailers tell me. So I'll continue to practice, practice, and practice but I'm ready for a break from dovetails. I've used box joints a few times and they're fine for many things. I've just been curious about dovetails and contacted an expert instead of trying
myself with no instruction. The box joints were done on the table saw but they could also be done with hand tools.

P1090010.png

P1090014.png
P1090014.png

drw

Donn
Corporate Member
Jeff, I admire your diligence, it appears you are on tract. I have tried to do hand cut dovetails, but the results have been disappointing...I need a lot more practice. I also have a dovetail jig, which does produce a very acceptable dovetail, but it is dicey to setup. With that said, my go to joint is typically a box joint...I have the I-Box jig that I use on the table saw, it does a great job!

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
If you are having trouble with your dovetails you don’t need to practice dovetails, you need to practice sawing. Draw a baseline, that will be your stopping point. Then draw vertical lines every 1/4 inch across the whole board at lease 8 inches. Then carefully cut each line just to the baseline. On the tenth or fifteenth board you will be wizzing along and every line will be straight and square.

Graywolf

Richard
Staff member
Corporate Member
If you are having trouble with your dovetails you don’t need to practice dovetails, you need to practice sawing. Draw a baseline, that will be your stopping point. Then draw vertical lines every 1/4 inch across the whole board at lease 8 inches. Then carefully cut each line just to the baseline. On the tenth or fifteenth board you will be wizzing along and every line will be straight and square.
That's one of the drills that showed him and had him do. Also, he was instructed to practice just that very thing.

Graywolf

Richard
Staff member
Corporate Member
You can do it both ways, for you swingers out there :cool:. I prefer tails first on average however, there are certain situations when pins first are the better choice.

Jeff

New User
Jeff

Richard and I started there; he corrected my poor technique and as we moved along from line to line I improved.

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
Actually I was replying to Donn, but I go through this practice exercise every time I start up a new project with dovetails if I haven't cut any for a few months.

drw

Donn
Corporate Member
Actually I was replying to Donn, but I go through this practice exercise every time I start up a new project with dovetails if I haven't cut any for a few months.

Thanks Mike, I will do as you suggest...I really would like to make some decent hand cut dovetails if for no other reason than just to say that I can!

drw

Donn
Corporate Member
Jeff, it has been awhile since I last attempted hand cut dovetails, but the reason why the effort was disappointing is that I could never get a result good enough to use (too loose, too tight, uneven, etc.). It was sort of like my recent attempt at turning five drawer knobs for my outfeed table. I didn't have too much difficulty turning a single knob, but turning four more that looked like the first was problematic...I went to Lowes and spend about $7 for five wooden knobs, they all looked identical and they worked well with the table!

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS