Klingspore Grand Opening - Asheville (Fletcher)

Status
Not open for further replies.

KenOfCary

Ken
Staff member
Corporate Member
Hank,

My daughter & pen turning partner and I may be able to come for a while. We can bring a midi lathe and turn a few pens. We have done that at the farmer's market a few times and had a good time teaching people how we do what we do. Will there be space inside to set up for turning?

Adam

Adam, assuming the weather holds out we will have 3 Midi Nova lathes set up that we'd love to have you demo on. No need to bring your own lathe unless you particularly want to use something more familiar.

KenOfCary

Ken
Staff member
Corporate Member
Hank,

Give us a call and give us hours, if you will. 828-424-9797

Alan

Hank is closer to this than I am, but the opening is 9-5PM. We will have a heated tent to demo in. Things are kind of loosely organized at this point but we will be sure and make room for you and Melissa as you are always a popular draw for our group. Thank you for your support.

allisnut

New User
Adam
OK, I guess I should think about getting some pen blanks ready to turn, huh? We will bring what we need less the lathe.

Hmerkle

Board of Directors, Development Director
Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
Hank,

My daughter & pen turning partner and I may be able to come for a while. We can bring a midi lathe and turn a few pens. We have done that at the farmer's market a few times and had a good time teaching people how we do what we do. Will there be space inside to set up for turning?

Adam
That would be great Adam!
Watch Friday, I am hopeful we will know enough about the weather and clean-up status to know what the plans are for Saturday.
Coleman is putting up a tent with heat for the demonstrations.

Hmerkle

Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
To Ken's eariler post - I have attempted to "heard the cats" but they are a lot faster than this old man! :icon_scra
We have commitments from some people and what they want to do

Following is the list of people that have told me or Dirk that they intend to be there and what they want to demonstrate.
(X) means I didn't see anything specific (please reply) and if you do not intend to do something specific, I hope you will jump in where you can AND be part of the "Fellowship" Committee (handing out NCWW cards and telling people what we are all about!

[T] by the name who were tentative

1. Hank
2. Dirk (Golfdad) (X)
3. Charley (Charles Lent) (Carving / Scrolling)
4. Rob (McRabbet) (X) rep'ing Western NC Woodworkers Association and NCWW
5. Alan and Milissa (Chesspy) (Turning)
6. Ken (KenofCary) (X)
7. Bill (Aplpickr) & wife (Turning) (Ornaments?)
8. Adam (allisnut) & daughter (Pen Turning)
9. Bob Childs (weatherflute) (demo wipe-on finishes and making flutes,)
10. Bruce (sawman101) (Scrolling)
12. Gary (Craftywud) [T] (Scrolling)

There WILL be some other people stopping by just to day hello and or filling in for a few minutes, but as of right now this is the list of volunteers!

EVERYONE is welcome - just let us know - even if it is for an hour, that is fine. The idea of outreach is to get people interested in the craft and show them how much fun being a part of NCWW really is!

aplpickr

New User
Bill
I-26 CLOSED because of accidents near the SC border. All four lanes! I think Frosty will win this fight.

aplpickr

New User
Bill
Still planning on sliding off the mountaintop on Saturday. We got 7" of global warming overnight. Nettie has turned a set of each stage of a handbell ornament. Hopefully this all happens.

aplpickr

New User
Bill
I hit enter by mistake. She has never done a demo. She taught kids to make honey dippers multiple times. She is getting nervous!

KenOfCary

Ken
Staff member
Corporate Member
Sorry guys, but the trailer is stuck. We got 6 inches of snow here. Were without power all day. Just now came back. There's no way we'll get that trailer out of where it is parked. If enough snow melts then the problem is going to be mud. We've cancelled our hotel reservations and are just going to pass on this one.

You all can show up and see what equipment Coleman can let you use, but I think the trailer is grounded.

I was also unable to get the blanks finished with no power to run the lathe.

sawman101

Bruce Swanson
Corporate Member
he snow on the driveway and roads melted here, so Beth and I will be heading to Asheville tomorrow afternoon. Staying at Hampton Inn. Anybody gonna be around tomorrow evening to meet up for dinner?

Berta

Berta
Corporate Member
Adam, assuming the weather holds out we will have 3 Midi Nova lathes set up that we'd love to have you demo on. No need to bring your own lathe unless you particularly want to use something more familiar.
Adam, our lathes will NOT be there! Please feel free to bring yours.

Hmerkle

Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
So, this was not a joke?

We are not going to have our trailer there?
We will not have business cards tohand out?
We will not have our lathes, scroll saws for demo?
And none of the other tools that we would need to demo?

Does that sum it up?

Berta

Berta
Corporate Member
No Hank, I sent you a PM you must have missed it. With the snow and mud it is just too dangerous to try to get it out.

Hmerkle

Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
he snow on the driveway and roads melted here, so Beth and I will be heading to Asheville tomorrow afternoon. Staying at Hampton Inn. Anybody gonna be around tomorrow evening to meet up for dinner?
Bruce,
I am only planning to come up Saturday morning so sorry, I will not be able to meet up for dinner...
Do you have a way to bring your scroll saw?
It looks like we are not going to have the Trailer there!

Windy

New User
Windy
With the snow and mud it is just too dangerous to try to get it out.
The snow is melted and there is no mud on the roadways. This has been planned for how long? Might as well just call the whole thing off, who wants to demo and make light sabres in a circus tent when it's 34 degrees out anyways.

Windy

New User
Windy
So, this was not a joke?

We are not going to have our trailer there?
We will not have business cards tohand out?
We will not have our lathes, scroll saws for demo?
And none of the other tools that we would need to demo?

Does that sum it up?

It's no joke, so much for outreach...

golfdad

Co-director of Outreach
Dirk
Corporate Member
Right now folks we have a lot of ice here in the raleigh area. We are trying to come up with a way to get the trailer out.....stay tuned to this channel for later updates

Hmerkle

Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
O.K.
We got it!
Everything is back on as planned.
The trailer will be on its way to Fletcher by 1:00 this after noon.

I look forward to seeing everybody there!

Once again, in the face of adversity, the NCWW team pulls together and makes "stuff" happen!!!

sawman101

Bruce Swanson
Corporate Member
That's good news! Afraid I was gonna be sitting in a tent with a piece of wood, and a coping saw......

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS