Out of control

Status
Not open for further replies.

erasmussen

New User
RAS
I got this bright idea, I would take my scrap (aka cut offs), not the expensive wood or one of a kind or funky wood, just the common stuff and make a few 6" throw away bowls, after all xmas is comming and who knows what else the might be good for..
I took every thing that could be ripped to 1" then cut segments 1.25" for 16 sided 6" rings threw the segments in a box Thinking I might have enough for 3 or 4 bowls.
Sanded and glued them into rings, I got 115 rings:elvis:.
Threw 3 rings into the fire, got to appease the segment gods.
As every one knows 1 piece bottoms is not a good idea, so I made simple quick 4 piece bottoms 32 of them.
Now I got 112 rings flattened and smoothed on 1 side and 32 bottoms,.
Now all I have left is to turn them.
And I still have a bucket of odd segments, think the gods are getting them also:gar-La;

rings_bases.jpg

boxxmaker

New User
Ken
DANG IT Earl,yer givin me ideas for more work that I don't need :no: but then again maybe I do :rotflm::rotflm::rotflm::rotflm::rotflm:

froglips

New User
Jim Campbell
Earl, I commend your creative work. I had to laugh at your subject.

I think a lot of turners are out of control. How many videos and articles have we seen where a turner puts the biggest, mostest outest of roundest hunk of half rotted burl up on a mid-lathe to "see what happens"?

When is the last time you saw a flat-earther say "gosh, lets just see if I can run this through my table saw"...... :no:

Joshing aside, thanks for sharing. I enjoy your work and your ideas! :icon_thum

Jim

erasmussen

New User
RAS
newbie turner question - why is a one piece bottom not a good idea?

Dan

Its because of grain direction and wood movement.
With segmented rings the grain kinda runs in a circle, a 4 piece comes a lot closer then a 1 piece where the grain just runs in one direction, and any cross grain over 1" can cause trouble even 1" can be too much.
Of course the best for a 16 segment ring would be a 16 segment bottom which is what I do on any nice turning.
Hope you can understand what I am trying to say.

LeftyTom

Tom
Corporate Member
If that is what you can do with the cheap scraps, them ind reels at what you could do with the "better" and "best" scraps.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors