Pocket screw holes

bob vaughan

Bob Vaughan
Senior User
I’d really disliked the ragged edges of my pocket screw holes even though I’d reground my bit for better cutting. The battery drills I’d been using were maybe 1300 RPM at best. The cut from a corded drill was better but not what I’d hoped for. I didn’t have a 3000 RPM drill so I went to Harbor Freight and got a clumsy 3000 RPM clunker for about $10.00. The higher rpm made a big difference so If you’re not satisfied with the pocket hole cut with a slower RPM drill, try it with a higher speed drill.

pocket - 1.jpg

pocket - 2.jpg

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
Years ago at Woodworking Show, Todd (now CEO of Kreg) said to use the highest rpm corded drill you had for cleaner holes. I have one 1/4" Craftsman Industrial ( built by B&D) that is all I use for pocket holes. Much higher RPM than my 3/8", also a B&D p[roduct.

Burly John

John
User
I kept a corded drill for many years, preferring it in the workshop. Sadly, the plastic case cracked after about 25 years. Guess now I have a good reason to get another. Thanks.

Rwe2156

DrBob
Senior User
I’ve seen the same thing ans use a corded drill if I’ve got a lot to do.

But curious why you’re concerned about cut quality? Are you using plugs 😳😳. They normally aren’t seen, or shouldn’t be seen.

bob vaughan

Bob Vaughan
Senior User
Most of the time, a shredded rim pocket hole won't matter but sometimes it rankles me to know the detail could have been better with little or no more effort. Below is an example of where a hole may be observed. This is a child's table base that attaches to a plastic laminate covered plywood top . Its not likely to be seen but I'll still know its there and it bothers me slightly.

pockets - 1.jpg

bob vaughan

Bob Vaughan
Senior User
This is what a well done pocket hole should look like. A 1950s H mahogany table. The angle used here would not work well for making boxes and that is the forte of today's realm of pocket screws.

pockets 1 - 1.jpg pockets 1 - 2.jpg

ashley_phil

Phil Ashley
Corporate Member
hmm good to know. i know castle cuts the pocket with with a router then drills just a pilot hole,

Jack A.

New User
Jack
I've been resigned to giving the holes a good sanding after drilling. Maybe I'll try digging out my ancient corded Black and Decker next time.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS