Blackpowder rifles in Durham

danmart77

Dan
Corporate Member
1714339896720.jpeg

In between building chairs I finished a couple of new Hawken Style rifles. One is a left hander and the other is for a right hander. The top rifle has a patchbox like I put on longrifles that I build for others but the lower riflle is not with a patchbox. Both of the rifles are colored with nitric acid before I varnish. The reason for the nitric is simple: dyes and stains fade in the sunlight after a few years and this is appropriate for building an old time rifle authentically. You might wonder? Why does he use brass on the halfstock rifles? The lighter calibers were fitted with brass mounts and I had some laying aroung so there they go. The patchbox in thick sheet brass from a door kick I found af a metal collection yard. Sadly, I lost my place to zero the sights in and I am looking for a new place to shoot paper.

Dan in Durham

Last edited:

ashley_phil

Phil Ashley
Corporate Member
those are awesome.

i have an older sears 12 guage made by remington

a few years ago i noticed a crack in the stock, do you ever replace stocks?

gun has great sentimental value and i'd like to ensure it is useable by future generations

danmart77

Dan
Corporate Member
those are awesome.

i have an older sears 12 guage made by remington

a few years ago i noticed a crack in the stock, do you ever replace stocks?

gun has great sentimental value and i'd like to ensure it is useable by future generations
Put a couple of photos of the stocks on the forum and we can go from there.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS