Xcarve CNC 1000x1000

LoveTheSmellofSawdust

Cheap Azz
Corporate Member
I am thinking about getting an Xcarve 1000 x 1000. The price is almost right 1400.
I know that some members have these CNCs. What do you think about these?

jamie

jamie
Senior User
Which model? Is it a used one? I don't have an xcarve but have some CNC experience. Oh, is it this basic gen 2 xcarve?

(it would also be helpful to know what you want to do with it)

jamie

jamie
Senior User
I was in a similar boat when I was considering a CNC. I ended up with what was called the Onefinity "Woodworker", which had a 32x32 work area, but it supported tiling. I thought that I was primarily going to use it to make signs, but ended up using it to save money rather than make money by replacing our run-of-the-mill builder-grade mantel and stair rails and other various house things.

(Because I was using it so much I did upgrade to a 4x4 Avid CNC with a spindle)

There is a wide array of things that you can do. My 2¢ would be to at least go with something that was a little more stout than a belt-driven CNC. Shapeoko, Onefinity, and XCarve all have something that would fit that bill. You can get by with belts, but you've got to be a bit more conservative with your speeds & feeds. On a positive note, each of those brands also have facebook groups that are more than willing to help!

New Mantel:
CNC-STUFF - 1 (2).jpeg

Replacing butterscotch oak, in progress:

CNC-STUFF - 1 (1).jpeg

Completed

CNC-STUFF - 1 (3).jpeg

mquan01

Mike
Corporate Member
I am thinking about getting an Xcarve 1000 x 1000. The price is almost right 1400.
I got a used one. so far I like it with the following caveat. In order to do more than basic carving, you need to get their advanced license (monthly or annual fee iirc. I was able to get a file off the internet, load it in and carve that way also. Caveat 2: I have only done about 5-10 projects so far. Their customer service has been very good so far and they have large support/knowledge base out there

LoveTheSmellofSawdust

Cheap Azz
Corporate Member
Which model? Is it a used one? I don't have an xcarve but have some CNC experience. Oh, is it this basic gen 2 xcarve?

(it would also be helpful to know what you want to do with it)
I am looking at the new gen 2 one.
What to do with it... oh where to begin
learn to do 3d stuff
wealth fame fortune
I want to try to table inlays.
I want to start doing stuff and not spend a ton of money for a unit. 3k+ for the better ones.
The bed size of the xcarve gives a lot of size options.
Its speed might not be the best, but should work for my current needs.
I can get these things from $130 up to as much as you can dream of.
I do not want a toy to start with and then turn around and upgrade.

LoveTheSmellofSawdust

Cheap Azz
Corporate Member
I was in a similar boat when I was considering a CNC. I ended up with what was called the Onefinity "Woodworker", which had a 32x32 work area, but it supported tiling. I thought that I was primarily going to use it to make signs, but ended up using it to save money rather than make money by replacing our run-of-the-mill builder-grade mantel and stair rails and other various house things.

(Because I was using it so much I did upgrade to a 4x4 Avid CNC with a spindle)

There is a wide array of things that you can do. My 2¢ would be to at least go with something that was a little more stout than a belt-driven CNC. Shapeoko, Onefinity, and XCarve all have something that would fit that bill. You can get by with belts, but you've got to be a bit more conservative with your speeds & feeds. On a positive note, each of those brands also have facebook groups that are more than willing to help!

New Mantel:
View attachment 228623

Replacing butterscotch oak, in progress:

View attachment 228624

Completed

View attachment 228625
Nice work. The ones you mention are in the 2.5k+ range. out of my budget currently.

jamie

jamie
Senior User
Like I said, the belt driven model will totally work, but you'll need to not overdrive it or the belts can slip, messing things up.

By all means, give it a shot (or look for a used one). Before you get into it, find a handful of things that you want to make. Signs, carvings, boxes, etc. I honestly learned a lot even when I made my first spoil board

chris_goris

Chris
Senior User
Jamie is correct. But, unless you hate using it or cant get a handle on all the software knowledge to operate it, you probably end up upgrading later on. These are entry level machines. I dont know anything about Xcarve, I think the software is proprietary?. If thats the case, and you THINK, maybe you can do this, I would buy a machine that can be programmed with Vectric software, its extremely powerful and wont pidgeon hole you to one brand of CNC or later learn another software.

jamie

jamie
Senior User
That's a good point. It looks like there is a VCarve post processor for XCarve, so if you start getting the itch to upgrade later you have a migration path.

prototype3a

Drew
User
Personally, I wouldn't take an Xcarve if it was given to me for free. Years ago, I helped someone to cut a part on a machine at work because their xcarve kept crashing and just generally doing things that any GOOD CNC won't do.

riggsp

Phil
Corporate Member
Consider what you plan to cut/make with your CNC machine...then consider the size of the machine you want to buy...personally, I would buy a machine large enough to do what I want to do even if it meant waiting for a while to get it...I've yet to hear any CNC owners say "I sure wish I bought a smaller machine".
Do a lot of research, check out the pros and cons, look for red flags from other users.
Machines with robust controllers, solid framework, and use of industry standard controls and CAD/CAM software is a huge plus when learning.
Not trying at all to discourage anyone, but CNC machines require a pretty significant learning curve...you have to learn the machine as well as the design software.
Just my 2 cents worth.

jamie

jamie
Senior User
@LoveTheSmellofSawdust Not sure where you are located (I'm in Matthews) but I'd be happy to show you my setup. It's way different from what you're looking at, but I do have experience with an entry-level machine. We can talk about the first-level things you need to know to look in to, including stuff that others have mentioned

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
I have an X Carve 1000 that I bought used NIB. I want(ed) to get into CNC work and thus far it has been an experience, although I've only done a couple of simple projects with it.
Whenever they say it is a 1000 mm table, keep in mind that is the maximum size of material that can be placed on the table. The work area is considerably less because the router will not go to the edge of a workpiece that big. DAMHIKT You'll probably only be able to rout on an area of about 800 x 800mm, still big enough for many projects, and for me the purchase was basically an entry level endeavor in to the field.
I assembled it myself with the comprehensive instructions provided online, and that in and of itself was worth the experience, as it allows for a level of competence in the process and product in the event of a breakdown or the desire to upgrade.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS