Worm holes in rough sawn oak, what to do?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dusty Sawyer

New User
David
I've not had a problem before with rough cut getting bugs after I cut it. I've seen lots where the worms get under the bark and make a few holes when it is wet and on the ground.

One thing I have seen almost every time drying oak is that it can develop a bit of mildew and mold - especially one sides where a tarp might be in close contact. It looks alot like what you have there. A quick scrape on one of those boards would tell.

Littlejon

New User
Jon
OK, really dumb question time. I have a good friend whose dad makes some of the most beautiful pieces I have ever seen. They guy does stuff with wood I can only dream about.

Anyway, several years ago he was given (he's actually given quite a bit of wood on a regular basis) a lot of mahogany, ash, maple and oak. Most were very large widths, rough sawn and pretty long. Some had bugs, so he took them out of the rest of the stacks, placed them on boards on the floor of his barn, covered them with plastic and set off bug bombs under the plastic. Killed all the bugs, but I had never seen it done. I asked if he was worried about the chemicals when he planed and sanded it and he said he wasn't because most of it dissipated before he got to that point anyway.

Granted, the guy is what I would call "old school", but I still thought it was unusual.

Anyone want to admit to ever doing this? I was curious as to how effective/popular/stupid this was. I would not do it myself, but was curious more than anything.

Tarhead

Mark
Corporate Member
Be carefull setting those things off! A Thai resturant in Charlotte set off a bunch recently to deal with a cockroach problem and the place literally exploded when the fumes got to the hot water heater pilot. Cockroaches didn't miss a beat.:eusa_thin

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
I have used them in houses (before I moved into them), so he may have some validity in his logic. We did wipe down all the countertops and such, but it is still going to be in the carpet and other fabrics around.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors