Board of Directors, Webmaster
Neal
Staff member
Corporate Member
And with the magic of photoshop, the answer is revealed

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
Since you don’t have all the big tools a place that can cut, dry, plane, joint, glue up, and sand a table top would be ideal. And quartersawn white oak is one of the best tabletop woods, takes stain well, resists warping.

Near Raleigh down by apex.

Scot Smith
www.wpsawmill.com

FredP

Fred
Corporate Member
LOL, how do you empty it?

I guess the first picture was waiting for the plumber to make some holes in the pretty Sapele.
This was done a while ago. The first picture was to show the top for the OP. The second picture is the finished project. I was the plumber unfortunately. :)

Ray2.0

New User
Never good enough
Most luckily a no news for this forum members , but here it is
As everyone knows on the West Coast we tend to use ( or ar least used to ) lots a western
red cedar and redwood on a lot of applications
I’m not sure it will work on other wood species but someone came up with this
mix in order to turn western red cedar or redwood into a JETBLACK color

Get one gallon of Distilled white vinegar ( on a plastic container )
Drop 4/5 steel wool # 4 (000 ) into the plastic container with the vinegar
Let it in there for 3 to 5 days

Then get the lumber ready and use a sponge and apply a liberal amount of it on the wood pieces

let it soak for about 5 minutes and clean the excess with a clean white rug

Get the wood pieces staged on an are until it starts drying up , the moment the sun rays has a direct contact to the lumber , the magic will happen

Try it sometime even if just for fun

Echd

C
User
Most luckily a no news for this forum members , but here it is
As everyone knows on the West Coast we tend to use ( or ar least used to ) lots a western
red cedar and redwood on a lot of applications
I’m not sure it will work on other wood species but someone came up with this
mix in order to turn western red cedar or redwood into a JETBLACK color

Get one gallon of Distilled white vinegar ( on a plastic container )
Drop 4/5 steel wool # 4 (000 ) into the plastic container with the vinegar
Let it in there for 3 to 5 days

Then get the lumber ready and use a sponge and apply a liberal amount of it on the wood pieces

let it soak for about 5 minutes and clean the excess with a clean white rug

Get the wood pieces staged on an are until it starts drying up , the moment the sun rays has a direct contact to the lumber , the magic will happen

Try it sometime even if just for fun

Interesting. I've done this with oak, that reacts very strongly to I guess the tannins in the wood. I never really thought of doing it to red cedar.

Graywolf

Board of Directors, President
Richard
Staff member
Corporate Member
568E12E1-3109-4B90-BD5E-DC95B2AFF88F.jpeg

the customer wanted cherry but couldn’t afford the cost of the wood. Now there wasn’t in my opinion that much difference in the cost of the woods versus staining and finishing. But what are you going to do.

kooshball

David
Corporate Member
Looking for suggestions on what kind of wood to use for a table top. I recently moved to Thomasville NC and my shop isn't currently set up yet but have access to some of my tools (Miter Saw, Kreg Jig, sanders, etc) but not my larger ones yet. I'm hoping in the fall that I'll be able to update the electric, insulation, lighting, etc.

I purchased a cast iron tank base from a member here and want to make it into a kitchen table with benches around 3 sides. I was hoping to be able to buy some dimensional lumber but not necessarily white pine from the big box store. I'd like something a little harder, that won't dent as easily as white pine. I'd also like something that I could stain in a walnut color stain.

Hoping for something that won't break the bank as I'd like to use the same wood to build the bench tops too.

I appreciate any suggestions that you might have.

Jim
I built a kitchen table about 7-years ago out of hard maple and painted it as per my wife’s color requirements. It still looks great today and is plenty hard. Hard maple was super easy to work with as well.

Jim Roche

jim
User
I appreciate all the responses, you all have given me a lot to think about.

All the pictures were great, I'm a visual guy and they've helped a lot.

I'll let you know what I end up going with.

Jim

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS