Wood book

Maine Guide

New User
JP
I’m looking for a good book that will give me some information about, identification, hardness, workability, finishing, movement and any other info that would be of help. I’ve been searching and the book named Wood by Eric Meier seems well presented and get great review. There are some others but not sure how those are. I like to buy books that I will constantly have use for and will gain essential knowledge over time.

I appreciate all input.

Thanks
Maine Guide

redknife

New User
Chris
I’ll start off by suggesting Understanding Wood by Hoadley. It’s checks your request for essential knowledge about wood. It has also been referenced here frequently (at least for a book) in my non-scientific recollection. It does not provide information on identification and I wouldn’t consider it a reference on finishing although it contains material on finishing. There are other books that cover those topics very well but I’ll stick with my one recommendation.

Maine Guide

New User
JP
Thanks, I can get a copy of the hardcover through Amazon for $35. Think of that as the one he’s doing now that’s printed as ordered a couple of reviews said some of the pages were upside down etc.

Maine Guide

Wiley's Woodworks

Wiley
Corporate Member
I’ll start off by suggesting Understanding Wood by Hoadley. It’s checks your request for essential knowledge about wood. It has also been referenced here frequently (at least for a book) in my non-scientific recollection. It does not provide information on identification and I wouldn’t consider it a reference on finishing although it contains material on finishing. There are other books that cover those topics very well but I’ll stick with my one recommendation.
I second Understanding Wood. It's mind boggling in its depth and complexity (sounds like I'm describing a burl grain or maybe some expensive wine). It reads like a college textbook, so if you can get through it certainly you will have increased your understanding of wood. My biggest knowledge gain from the book was increasing my confidence in picking the right wood for the project.

If you also study Understanding Wood Finishing by Bob Flexner, you will have an equal knowledge and skill level in selecting finishes and finishing techniques.

Jim Wallace

jimwallacewoodturning.com
Jim
Corporate Member
The Hoadley is in fact used as a text book for the wood technology class at NCSU.

Last edited:

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS