Where to get 12/4 KD red oak?

Status
Not open for further replies.

cpowell

New User
Chuck
I need for bed legs. 8 ft long x 7 inch wide or so would work. QS ideal but not necessary.

Chuck

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Nope that was QSWO, I still have this Red Oak from my wood haul many months ago. But that is about the end of it all. I may be getting some QSWO, Walnut and Cherry soon from my sawyer friend :eusa_danc

Dave:)

Kyle

New User
Kyle Edwards
If you want some cut just send an email. Another alternative is to get 8/4 stock from the same board and do a glue up.

It takes a LOOOOONG time for thick wood to dry. When its 8/4 I can kiln dry after about 6-8 months but time is usually your freind. 4 inch stock can take 2-3 years to have a dry core.

I tell my customers..buy when you dont need it set it aside and let it dry sloooowly and you will save money and have a better product AND it will be available when you need it.

cpowell

New User
Chuck
If you want some cut just send an email. Another alternative is to get 8/4 stock from the same board and do a glue up.

It takes a LOOOOONG time for thick wood to dry. When its 8/4 I can kiln dry after about 6-8 months but time is usually your freind. 4 inch stock can take 2-3 years to have a dry core.

I tell my customers..buy when you dont need it set it aside and let it dry sloooowly and you will save money and have a better product AND it will be available when you need it.

Kyle, I would like to begin work on this project in the next few weeks so it MUST be dry. I have laminated 3x3 legs on many occasions but I'm going to hold out for solid stock on this bed project.

I am going to take DaveO up on some of that AD QS red oak. I'll stick it in the rack and it'll be ready for use in a year or two.

Chuck

Kyle

New User
Kyle Edwards
That would be your best bet to stock up on the qsawn stuff from Dave. The dried stock of that material is very expensive otherwise. I sell to Cornell Zimmer on occasion and they specifically request 12/4 and 16/4 quartersawn whiteoak stock for the pipe organs. Hardly anyone carries thick stock like that anymore only the small sawyers.

Ray Martin

New User
Ray
Nope that was QSWO, I still have this Red Oak from my wood haul many months ago. But that is about the end of it all. I may be getting some QSWO, Walnut and Cherry soon from my sawyer friend :eusa_danc

Dave,

Will you be doing another "wood haul" like last time? will this one be green or dried wood? If I can get my act (and my shop) together, I have a couple of projects for family members on the to-do list and I'll eventually need to start shopping for wood.

Ray

DaveO

New User
DaveO
This round should be kiln dried. I don't know exactly when I will get some or how much, but the prices will be very reasonable. If you need some, when I have some, great. I jumped the gun on posting the availability of the last wood haul, and my buddy didn't come through for a good while after that and some folks who expressed an interest gave up on waiting for me :eusa_doh:
I will let you know when it is a done deal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS