What's your angle? (Possibly contentious post...)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hmerkle

Board of Directors, Development Director
Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
GREAT work Chris - what honing guide did you buy?

Chris C

Chris
Senior User
Robert Larson....$12 at Amazon. It's a bit of a pain to use on my chisels but that is more a product of my cheap chisels than the guide. That's probably going to be my next purchase.....a set of narex.

Hmerkle

Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
Not sure of that - I want to ask the question of Mike Davis if he has had problems with that honing guide and chisels - I have some Stanley socketed chisels and to get them out far enough for 25 degrees - the chisel seems too fat for the guide???

Chris C

Chris
Senior User
No...not straight enough. These are some really really cheap chinese pig iron ones....bought long ago from harbor freight. Won't register on both sides down the length of the guide.

Chris C

Chris
Senior User
I may also buy a nicer guide...veritas perhaps. But I'm definitely getting a new set of blades.

KenOfCary

Ken
Staff member
Corporate Member
Well I guess I should chime in. Most everything that is not special purpose is 25 degrees. That way my CRS doesn't kick in. Anything other than that is usually marked well. Also no micro-bevels. When I sharpen or hone I do the whole thing. If you don't let it get that far gone before starting all you're doing is honing. It is not much harder to hone a 1/4" than it is to hone 1/32". You can make things more complicated for yourself or you can simplify. Guess which is my approach.

Special purpose though is special - some are way more than 30 depending on usage.

Oh and plus 1 for the Narex chisels. Great price/performance sweet spot.

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
Could not say it any better myself. The only mistake I saw was when he said It will hold an inch and a half plane blade. I think it holds 2 1/2 or more or maybe he was saying 1 1/2 chisel. I'd have to watch it again, anyway that part wasn't clear.

Hmerkle

Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
Yes, I think he mis-spoke - I think eariler he said 2 1/2 and later he said 1 1/2...

I was surprised he didn't suggest the setting gauge like you made!

Pop Golden

New User
Pop
I just bought a WorkSharp. It keeps the angles on the money. I haven't started with micro-bevels yet. Maybe not. But, one thing is certan - this little rascal sharpens tools very well. I've always had trouble with sharpening. The WorkSharp has solved a lot of my problems. Oh! One more thing this tool is not the go-to tool for lathe chisels. For that I use the Oneway system. I use 25 degrees for all chisels.

Pop

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS