Well I gave it a try...

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaveO

New User
DaveO
I had a request for a pen with a cross inlaid in it from a friend to give to his wife who is graduating. So I gave it a try. Chalk it up to prototype #1 :crybaby2: :crybaby2: :crybaby2:

Copy of Copy of Pens 348.jpg

Not happy with it at all. So much that it isn't worthy of becoming a full fledged pen.
Let me tell you folks Eagle is really talented...this ain't easy :BangHead: :BangHead: .

Dave:)

Monty

New User
Monty
That's a whole lot better than I would have come up with - and with your productivity in the shop, I think Eagle's going to have some competition! ;)

alleng

New User
allen
wow,looks like a good start to me.no way i could do anything like that with my big ole fingers,hard enough to dial out on the cell phone.allthough i have been ponderin gettin a lathe and tryin some round stuff:eusa_thin .but after seeing the turn masters on here,its awfull intemidating.

ChrisMathes

New User
Chris Mathes
Finally, someone give's some credence to Eagle... I would have never believed it had it not been for this post...I though he was a joke, but now that you say he's talented, i guess I'll believe it if I ever see something worthy...LOL!

J

jeff...

Dave not so bad there dude. But if I may try and help a little. I've placed a few crosses on roadsides where friends of the family have died in car accidents.

Take 1 5' 4" 2x4 and 1 2' 4". Make 4" 1/2 lap joint starting 1' from the top of the horizontal and a 4" half lap joint smack dab right in the middle of the vertical.

When assembeld the top horizontal will be 1' above the vertical and the vertical will be 1' away from the horizontal on each side. pound it 2' in the ground and the bottom of the vertical will be 3' from the bottom of the horizontal. If you study the assembled cross all the measurements they are in ones and three. This seems to give perfect mathematical numbers that has a pleasing symmetric look.

Maybe if you did your oval a width of 3.4 and a height of 5.4 it may stick with the pleasing symmetric perfect mathematical number scheme?

Like This. - Just a Thought

Attachments

• cross.jpg
    cross.jpg
    31.5 KB · Views: 142

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Thanks Jeff...now tell me how to put that into a pen :lol: :lol: Drawing the design isn't the hard part, it's translating it to the wood through the tools on such a small scale.

BTW, I will use your measurement tips on prototype number two :icon_thum I will get this right

Eaglesc

New User
Eagle
Finally, someone give's some credence to Eagle... I would have never believed it had it not been for this post...I though he was a joke, but now that you say he's talented, i guess I'll believe it if I ever see something worthy...LOL!
Eagle?. Who's Eagle?:roll:

First attempt?
I wish my 10th attempt looked that good.
I also wish my success rate was better than 60-70%
What I See when I look at your inlay is a cross that forms a cross in the center with no miss matched lines(the first thing I look for) the centerline is off vertical but in future blanks you can watch out for that.
Lastly,I use the same principals in my inlays that I would for building anything else.
In this case I would split the vertical making the horizontal a single piece.
If you were building anything that would have any stress subjected to it that would be the strongest way to do it without any additional supports.
A lap joint would be the strongest in full scale but is not neccessary here but the appearance of one is best IMHO.
A mitered center would show attention to detail and look esthetically pleasing.
Keep going but don't discount this one.
(Like I said, cigar kits are cheap.)
Also it would still be a nice gesture for your friend if you told them "As much as I hate to part with something I don't view as perfect, I made this at your request and I put my heart into it.I will probably make other that meet my expectations but this one is the "first" and it was made with someone special in mind"
It won't be a line of B.S., it's true.

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Thanks Eagle. My biggest problem with it is the unevenness of the outline of the oval. That glares at me more than the vertical member of the cross not being plumb. It is interesting the you split you horizontal instead of the vertical member.
With your urging and others on other forums I believe that I will assemble the pen, and give it to my friend instead of charging him for it. He can decide it he wants to give it to his wife or chuck it in the glove-box. I will try again, I will succeed.....someday

ChrisMathes

New User
Chris Mathes
I agree, Dave, I do think that it looks great...esp as a first try. I think it's great that you want to do better, but I think you are being quite hard on yourself...but we are all our worst critics. I do agree with Eagle about the horizontal being one piece. When I have made my 'segmented' pens with a cross, I thought about what I would expect the real cross to look like. I expect the horizontal was attached to the front of the post as opposed to the back. You've taken on a whole extra level of complexity here....good job and I can't wait to see #2....

Chris

Eaglesc

New User
Eagle
Thanks Eagle. My biggest problem with it is the unevenness of the outline of the oval. That glares at me more than the vertical member of the cross not being plumb. It is interesting the you split you horizontal instead of the vertical member.
With your urging and others on other forums I believe that I will assemble the pen, and give it to my friend instead of charging him for it. He can decide it he wants to give it to his wife or chuck it in the glove-box. I will try again, I will succeed.....someday
You and I both know how much time goes into something like this.It is not only the time in the shop,I know you didn't walk into the shop and just start to make the blank.
You mulled over the different ways you could accomplish this or atleast what would be the best way to try.
THis may have been when you were sitting down haveing your morninng coffee, driving somewhere or when a commsercial came on T.V..
At some point you became oblivious to your surroundings and in your minds eye you worked through the different steps mentally.At soem [point you amy even have come to a mental "stumbling block" and start from scratch.
I call that R&D.
At this point you have a couple of hours into the project and haven't even select what woods you are going to use.
You may have even thought of suuccumbing to the thught of having it done with a laser.
You finally decided the method you were going to use and put"saw to wood".
There may have been countless set backs depending on how well your mental plans gave you the results you wanted as you went along.
At some point you had the blank but were not out of the woods yet.
It still needed to be drilled center to the pattern(some cant even drill a solid piece of wood without having it blow up)In this case you KNOW you have to be center when you drill.
Then it needs to be turned without blowing out on the lathe.
Then sanded and finished.
If your friend decides to pay you for this custom pen, I seriously doubt he will pay you in money what that pen cost you to make.
What he cannot pay for is what you learned in making this blank.
Even if you wrote a tutorial on how you made this blank(which I hope you don't do) There is still the execution of the steps based on the standards and tolerances you have set up for yourself.
That cannot be taught.
Great job on the blank and the finish.
Now get the bottle of thin CA out(stabilize it while turing and go slow), finish turning it, assemble it, and "give" it to your friend.

NZAPP1

New User
Nick
WOW Dave that is impressive for the first try :icon_thum :icon_thum Like you always say you do not know how it will look until you turn it :lol: so give it a spin and see what appears :eusa_danc

J

jeff...

Thanks Jeff...now tell me how to put that into a pen :lol: :lol: Drawing the design isn't the hard part, it's translating it to the wood through the tools on such a small scale.

BTW, I will use your measurement tips on prototype number two :icon_thum I will get this right

Dave I wished I could tell you how to put that into a a pen blank, you the master. But I would be jumping for joy if that were my first attempt - it looks real good.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors