Upgrading Electrical Panel

Status
Not open for further replies.

gdoebs

New User
Geoff
Hi guys,
I'm planning a kitchen remodel and want to add at least one more circuit for small appliances. I'm tired of tripping a circuit if more than one appliance is on... Not to mention, upgrading the panel would allow me to add a nice shop heater from Northern Tool. I know when we bought our house the inspector said the power coming from the street was higher than the panel had as a max (I think I have 150 AMP but coming in from the street is 200 AMP). So I think all that needs to be done is get a larger panel and get a 200 AMP breaker for it. Not to mention disconnecting everything and re-doing it in the new panel. Has anyone here done this or had it done? I'd like to find a good electrician do it, and let me help out if possible to lower the cost etc.

Thanks!

FredP

Fred
Corporate Member
I have had this done. your meter base needs to be rated for the 200amp service. If it is then you will need a 200amp panel. most I have seen come with the 200amp main breaker. my main for the house is outside at the meter base. the one for my shop has the main in the panel. they are on separate services. each has its own meter. It needs to be inspected. If an electrician does it he or she should pull a permit. If you do it you should pull a permit. If you dont and the house burns down your insurance company may not cover you. the wire coming from the meter to the panel must be large enough to carry 200 amp also. the longer the wire the bigger it needs to be. Personally I would farm this job out to a pro.

DblD22

New User
DblD
While you can probably do this yourself on your own home it would be better to get a licensed electrician to do it. You will need to get a permit, have power company come out and disconnect your power (pull your meter if the base is rated for 200 AMPs); then replace the panel (you may need new wire from the meter base to the panel); rewire and terminate everything (hoping your wires are long enough); then call the inspector to come inspect. Once you have passed inspection you then call the power company back out to reconnect your power. Oh - did I mention you will probably need to remove the wallboard for about 2 feet or so above (and below if any wires come in from that direction) the panel. If you are just looking for additional circuits you might just want to buy some of the double breakers that fit in a single circuit breaker slot - just insure that the amp rating for the breakers connected to existing wiring stay the same (14 gauge wire = 15 AMP, 12 gauge = 20 Amp) Don

J

jeff...

Wow your able to actually suck 200 AMPS off the "grid"? your kidding me right?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS