Tool Wall or French Cleat

Status
Not open for further replies.

dwminnich

New User
Dave
Dave,
What are the dimensions of the heavy cleat you use to hang the plywood sheets on? 2x4, ply, etc..
Thanks

The big cleat is 1x4 SYP. The backing plywood piece is 1/2" Baltic birch, the tool cleats and tool holders are 3/8" Baltic birch. On the bottom, back of the backing plywood is a piece of the same 1x4 as a spacer to make the sheet hang parallel to the wall.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

zapdafish

Steve
Corporate Member
depending on what I am going to hang on a cleat I make the cleat wider so that I can drive more screws into the stud for support.

Something like this, I'd prob use 2 screws per stud.

The big cleat is 1x4 SYP. The backing plywood piece is 1/2" Baltic birch, the tool cleats and tool holders are 3/8" Baltic birch. On the bottom, back of the backing plywood is a piece of the same 1x4 as a spacer to make the sheet hang parallel to the wall.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Steve_Honeycutt

Chat Administartor
Steve
Here is another clear system that was published in Popular Woodworking Magazine:

http://www.popularwoodworking.com/projects/hyperorganize-your-shop

imagejpeg

I like this system because it uses 3/4" plywood and 1/4" plywood. Each item can be pulled off the wall and attached to the side of the center cabinet. This is very versatile and is stronger than it looks. If I have any scrap plywood remaining after a project, I make more storage.

Steve

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS