Throwing out an option

Status
Not open for further replies.

Berta

Berta
Corporate Member
The way teaching is done at most all the workshops I give is:
I explain what we are goning to do and show and explain the tools and techniques used.
I then go around to each person and check for problems.
That is not possible on a video. Vidieos are general, not individual. That is what makes workshops special.
GreyWolf being there checking how I was holding my handsaw, chisel, whatever and then physically correcting me is what helped me be able to do it.

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
I've had people at workshops say "I watched that a hundred times on Utube but didn't get it until you showed me what I was doing wrong".

Graywolf

Board of Directors, President
Richard
Staff member
Corporate Member
I do find value in instructional videos, I have found everyone learns differently and retains information differently. I have also found that one on one instruction is invaluable compared to other ways of sharing information. Getting the chance to share that information in a workshop and give guidance along the way, it gives everyone a chance to discover what works for them and an outside view of what you are doing. That's valuable input for everyone.
In one of the classes I have taken over the past few years this is what I was asked, why are you taking this class you really don't need it. I had two answers, one I would never had the opportunity to meet you and two I learn all day everyday and repeating fundamentals is always a great way to fix bad habits that will creep in.

bowman

Board of Directors, Webmaster
Neal
Staff member
Corporate Member
Thanks for everyone's input. I knew editing would be a labor intensive effort, based on the video that Michael did at Charlie's last workshop.

The one thing I had not taken into consideration was the distraction factor of the cameras, either stationary or a dedicated camera operator, or various combinations.

Pop Golden

New User
Pop
​Hi Steve, It does'n take all that stuff to do good TV. 1 camera will work just fine. With the new cameras they'll white balance to anything. (like T8 florescent) In your favor you DO need a camera operator. Also lavalieres are the only to go. One camera on a dolly will do both overview, close ups and cut-aways. The basic problem with taping workshops is the students at the workshop. I'm in the process of gearing up to stream woodworking shows. The only folks present in the shop will be involved in shooting. The shows will be put together in edit. After 18 years in the video trenches, I can do better than 8 hours to 1 hour of finished footage. I over shoot everything the raw footage to finished is 10 to 1 by Hollywood standards. I at one time knocked out a half hour in 1-1/2 hours. OK it wasn't one of my prize productions, but we got it done. I guess my bottom line here is taping workshops isn't conducive to good TV. At best it will be an aid if the workshop repeats.

Pop

Danny Batchelor

Danny
User
Phil you look pretty good in the stills I have taken of you and you’ve eaten enough grits that even those western tarheels can understand you. I think a couple of cameras with one set and one rover with the speaker miked and have a floater so questions can be asked from the floor. Have the shooter and the speaker work out a script and stick to it. I think editing would be difficult part and time consumer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors