T-Track with 1/4 20 bolt heads?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bill_In_Asheville

New User
Bill
I guess this is Project Design... anyway, anyone use 1/4 20 bolts in T-Track? Seems like there is too much slop, as they don't quite fill the gap.

I know, order the T-nuts online. But I was just thinking.

nn4jw

New User
Jim
I use the Rockler t-track mostly. It is a "universal" design for both 1/4" bolts and 5/16" t-bolts.

nn4jw

New User
Jim
I use toilet flange bolts - seem to work well

+1 for toilet flange bolts. They are a lot easier to find and cost significantly less than essentially the same thing sold for use with t tracks. I do find them a little wide for my t tracks, but a few minutes at the bench grinder takes care of that.

KenOfCary

Ken
Staff member
Corporate Member
I have a whole selection of 1/4x20 bolts, nuts and knurled knobs and nuts that I use for making jigs. They seem to work fine and have other uses around the shop as well.

zapdafish

Steve
Corporate Member
t-track isn't really standardized. Learned the hard way buying 4 different brands, kreg, hartville, incra, and peachtree. Bolts that fit in one may/will not fit in the other. Hopefully the toilet flange bolts work out for you. Or check with the manufacturer of your t track for their "jig kits".

Joe Scharle

New User
Joe
When I first started using T-track, I bought both T-track and flange bolts from Rockler. The flange's were too wide!
Later I bought some 1/4" bolts from the BORG. The heads were too thick!
Finally, I started buying T-track from MLCS and it'll take most anything!

Jeff

New User
Jeff
Interesting observations. The T-track slot dimensions are not standardized and the 1/4 20 bolt head dimensions (width and head height) are not standardized either?

The 1/4 20 bolts at McMaster-Carr all have bolt head widths of 7/16" and a head height of 11/64".

https://www.mcmaster.com/#standard-hex-head-screws/=15lezzn

I guess a bolt in a brand specific T-track will not be a hand/glove fit so there'll be some slop (if the bolt fits to begin with). However, the vertical slop should tighten up when a nut/washer is attached to the other end.

Bill_In_Asheville

New User
Bill
I am probably over-thinking the slop issue, but it is for a table saw fence.

Just returned from the borg with toilet flange bolts, tight fit, but easily rectified.

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
I just figured carriage bolts to be less expensive than closet flange bolts which are usually brass. A little time in a vise with a file and they could work quite well. After all, woodworking is 95% metal working.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors