Some recent work - Door Letters

Status
Not open for further replies.

tri4sale

Daniel
Corporate Member
Had a request for some simple (but very profitable) letters for hanging on doors:

A Circle (Medium).JPGF Circle (Medium).JPGS Circle (Medium).JPG

Hmerkle

Board of Directors, Development Director
Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
Those are REALLY neat Daniel
Are they scroll work or CNC or ???

Where did you get the pattern?

tri4sale

Daniel
Corporate Member
Those are REALLY neat Daniel
Are they scroll work or CNC or ???

Where did you get the pattern?

CNC, I really don't think you could be profitable with the time it would take to do them on a scroll saw, well at least I couldn't be profitable with the time it would take me on a scroll saw. The letters are vine style font I merge with a circle.

kg5000

Kenny
User
I've been designing these door letter hangers to cut on my CNC for a while. I find scroll saw patterns as a basis and do the artwork in Inkscape and then export DXF into CamBam to create the tool paths. I have been struggling with backlash in my home built machine so my results are not quite saleable. My wife bought one at a store called Swoosie's for $30 that had very sloppy cuts and was not sealed properly so it has swollen up from moisture outdoors.

DoorHanger.jpg

tri4sale

Daniel
Corporate Member
Daniel,
Did you take any training classes at the Shop Bot facility?

No, I taught myself. Really wish I had, but I've never been able to take the time off work for their 2 day class. I did tour the facility before deciding on buying a ShopBot.

tri4sale

Daniel
Corporate Member
I've been designing these door letter hangers to cut on my CNC for a while. I find scroll saw patterns as a basis and do the artwork in Inkscape and then export DXF into CamBam to create the tool paths. I have been struggling with backlash in my home built machine so my results are not quite saleable. My wife bought one at a store called Swoosie's for $30 that had very sloppy cuts and was not sealed properly so it has swollen up from moisture outdoors.

View attachment 18748

Thats an awesome design, did you come up with that or is that the one your wife bought? What size is that one in the picture?

I've seen that with a lot of store sold designs, they are cheaper but the quality is a bit lacking, they don't sand between paint coats so you get a lot of fuzzies, and they don't seal properly and use an interior grade wood so they swell up. I've seen some that used MDF for an exterior door sign. I'm actually using an exterior sign material to avoid some of those issues.

Always impressed with someone who able to make their own CNC machines, what size did you build?

kg5000

Kenny
User
Thats an awesome design, did you come up with that or is that the one your wife bought? What size is that one in the picture?

I've seen that with a lot of store sold designs, they are cheaper but the quality is a bit lacking, they don't sand between paint coats so you get a lot of fuzzies, and they don't seal properly and use an interior grade wood so they swell up. I've seen some that used MDF for an exterior door sign. I'm actually using an exterior sign material to avoid some of those issues.

Always impressed with someone who able to make their own CNC machines, what size did you build?

I started with a vector scroll saw pattern for a drink coaster maybe 5" in diameter. I stretched it in Inkscape, added the inner ring, added the letter in the middle and then removed unneeded lines. The final diameter was about 23".

I built my first CNC mill from plans off Instructables and was benchtop sized with an 11 x 17 cut envelope. I have since scaled up the design to be 72 x 72 with a 52 x 52 cut envelope. I'm still trying to get the scaled up version to cut correctly without to too much noticeable backlash.

EddieM

New User
Eddie
Photo Dec 02, 9 57 05 AM.jpgPhoto Dec 02, 10 01 40 AM.jpg

We make ours out of baltic birch. I have so much fun making these for paint parties, and church events! I'm not sure how these pictures will show up...for some reason I have the most difficult time adding pictures.

tri4sale

Daniel
Corporate Member
IMG_1250 (Medium).JPG

IMG_1249.jpg

Here's 2 other styles, rough cut before I finish up w/ light sanding, I make these for my clients when they buy a house, but use their last name.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors