shop stool build help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mark Stewart

New User
Mark
I need to build a stool for my shop, Thinking about using 2x4 for the build. but I am new to this type of thing. I need to figure out the angles for my legs. Stools probably gonna be 28" just a basic squat kind of thing. This is as far as I have gotten.

Dave Richards

Dave
Senior User
The best thing to do is decide on a design first. Three legs or four? How big is the seat? How much splay do you want. If I was building it, I'd work it all out on the computer. You could do that or you might find it useful to draw out an elevation view at full size on a scrap of plywood or cardboard. Then you can lift the angles with a bevel gauge right from the drawing.

Maybe something like the tall one in the back?

Mark Stewart

New User
Mark
Dave, the tall one in the back is kind of what I am after. Just a simple stool with 4 legs and a place for my feet to rest. As I am a fat man thinking of making it wider than normal maybe 18" or so, with a square top.

Joe Scharle

New User
Joe
Mark, I save the brown butcher paper that comes in shipping boxes and make full (1:1) size dwgs of many of my projects. Especially if it's one I'm building in my head. Then I can hold it against other pieces and get a 2D feel of how it will fit where I want to place/use it.

Also, I use it as a full size print for takeoffs. I've saved a lot of lumber over the years using this technique!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors