Sharpening flat steel stuff

Status
Not open for further replies.

CrealBilly

New User
Jeff
Hey Mike Davis i have a question for you. Susposed i wanted to shrapen a old chisel but all i had was a bench grinder. So if i do sharpen it i'll leave a concave impression in the steel because well... a wheel is round. How much does this concave effect the performance and longevity of the chisel?

Thanks

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
That is the most common way that chisels are sharpened.

Now, if you are asking what happens if you don't hone the edge? It won't be sharp and it won't stay sharp because there will be a wire edge that will break off pretty quickly. You can hone on fine sandpaper or some other flat simi-smooth object, but you do need to hone the edge.

CrealBilly

New User
Jeff
That is the most common way that chisels are sharpened.

Now, if you are asking what happens if you don't hone the edge? It won't be sharp and it won't stay sharp because there will be a wire edge that will break off pretty quickly. You can hone on fine sandpaper or some other flat simi-smooth object, but you do need to hone the edge.

Got it... i was looking at a worksharp machine thingy and the thought crossed my mind... so i figured i would ask the expert... i think i'll stick to stones, flat sand paper and my leather belt for the time being anyways. I cant get chisels scarry sharp and shave with them thanks to what you taught me :) heck i can even shave my arm hairs with my hatchet also :)

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
The scary sharp machine uses the flat side of the wheel, not sure if you understood that. It also has different grit wheels for coarse medium and fine, even extra fine and in between if you want to go there.

The last time Collin shaved was for a friends wedding, bunch of Boy Scout, OA friends watched him shave with his Bruks.

CrealBilly

New User
Jeff
The scary sharp machine uses the flat side of the wheel, not sure if you understood that. It also has different grit wheels for coarse medium and fine, even extra fine and in between if you want to go there.

The last time Collin shaved was for a friends wedding, bunch of Boy Scout, OA friends watched him shave with his Bruks.

Nope i sure didn't... but how does that work going across the cutter edge instead of the line with it like you would do by hand? I guess it works pretty good since a lot of people buy those worksharps.

I guess im just old school...

CDPeters

Master of None
Chris
This should give you a visual :)

41Cnft3QOhL._AC_UL320_SR240,320_.jpg

Roy G

Roy
Senior User
Jeff, if you grind a chisel on a wheel you will have a concave bevel which will make the edge thinner. You'll need to be careful hitting knots or trying to pry out some wood because the thinner edge can be prone to chipping. If you just pare with the chisel, no problem and the concave bevel makes it easier to hone on a stone.

Roy G

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS