Shapton stone

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
Had a few minutes to play with the Shapton stone today. I sharpened my pocket knife on 325 and 600 diamond then went to the 16,000 Shapton to see what it would do.

I'm surprised at how fast it cut for a stone that fine. Polished off my knife blade to hair popping mirror finish in just a few minutes and man was it slick. Can't wait it try the set on some plane blades.

My only complaint is for a set of stones that expensive it seems like they would include a nice stainless steel spritzer bottle.

I will be looking for one.

Jeremy Scuteri

Jeremy
Any idea how the glass shapton stones compare to the ceramic shapton stones? It seems crazy to go from 600 grit to 16,000 grit, but hey, if it worked well, who am I to argue?

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
Yes, 16,000.
No, not normal.

I just had a few minutes and wanted to see what it would do.

hopefully, sometime in the next weeks I will have time to sharpen a plane blade starting with the 500 and going through the grits at 2000, 8000, and then 16,000. But first I need a plastic mat or tray and a small spray bottle.

Jeremy,
as far as I know the glass stones are the same ceramic material, a thinner piece of it is bonded to glass.

KenOfCary

Ken
Staff member
Corporate Member
I have used router mats for that purpose but I've got an extra one that I don't intend to use again for its original purpose. You can find plastic spray bottles in the garden dept of Lowes/HD.

Mark Gottesman

New User
Mark
I just assembled the same thing as the Norton tray with a cafeteria food tray and 2 pieces of the open mesh drawer liner. Works great. contains the water mess and my waterstones do not move.

smallboat

smallboat
Corporate Member
I have a partial roll of 6mm fabric backed neoprene.
It has come in handy for a bunch of purposes.
Think I just found another.

If you would like a chunk, let me know.

smallboat

smallboat
Corporate Member
shoot me some dims. I'm planning (for what that's worth) to make it to your place on the 14th.

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
Steve, a tray mystically appeared at my door today. It is about 10 x 14 inches inside.

apparently it came from Amazon, my wife was a little surprised that I ordered something, I told her so was I. :dontknow:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS