Shallawax?

petebucy4638

Pete
Corporate Member
I have seen a few pieces on Facebook that were finished with Shellawax. Supposedly it is made from shellac and waxes. I've read that the producer of the product recommends sanding well beyond the 400 grit that I normally use. Do any of you folks use this Finish?

Hmerkle

Board of Directors, Development Director
Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
I have in the past Pete.

I have done it both ways, sanding to a finer finish and sanding to a... (I was going to say 220, but I think I went to 320 because I could see sanding marks.... I think that is the important thing, items you use Shellawax on are theoretically in you hands (close to your eyes) so it is easier to see imperfections... JMHO

Other questions?

petebucy4638

Pete
Corporate Member
I have in the past Pete.

I have done it both ways, sanding to a finer finish and sanding to a... (I was going to say 220, but I think I went to 320 because I could see sanding marks.... I think that is the important thing, items you use Shellawax on are theoretically in you hands (close to your eyes) so it is easier to see imperfections... JMHO

Other questions?
Thanks for your reply.

Dee2

Board of Directors, Vice President
Gene
Staff member
Corporate Member
Depends on the wood. Some closed grain stuff I turn I'll sand to 600 -1500 and acrylic pens much higher. Open grain seems to be more forgiving. Sanding with the grain helps minimize sanding scratches. Wood hardness also can influence scratch visibility, IMHO.

I also use Yorkshire grit or an equivalent. And, you can make your own.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors