Saw vise

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
When Smallboat visited last week he bought my better saw vise, I thought I had kept the better one but found it is cracked and needs welding. I was looking around e-bay and found an old Wentworth #2 for $9.99 + shipping.

No body bid on it because it had been welded, I looked the photos over pretty well and decided it was worth ten bucks.

it arrived today and I think I'll keep it.

i never saw a 14 inch wide saw vise before, I thought twelve was the widest. It needs a little work, nothing I can't do. Will try to take photos as it progresses.

Bill Clemmons

Bill
Corporate Member
Congrats Mike. But I thought you were going to make one like Jerome has in his shop at Old Salem.
IMG_30981.JPG

View image in gallery

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
Mike, as a child I used to go with my dad to get his handsaws sharpened. The guy who sharpened them was named Rufus Edwards, but everybody called him "Turk" for some reason.Two things I remember about "Turk" was he would always light a cigarette before starting, but never take a puff on it. By time he finished saws, there was just one long cylinder of ash. None ever fell off. Other thing I remember was that he never tuned a saw around, but rather just reached across saw and filed from other side. AHH. childhood memories.

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
I never saw one sharpened until I took Bill Anderson's class. Bill opened my eyes to a lot of things the books and videos don't tell you.

On a rip saw I don't turn the saw around but for a crosscut I do. And anything finer than 10 points I use magnifying glasses.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS