Saturday's Router Work

Status
Not open for further replies.

LeftyTom

Tom
Corporate Member
More emphasis on work, as the results were mixed.

My ongoing project of replacing my front porch rails had reached the point I needed to plough the grooves for the new ballusters. Setting the edge guide to cut 1" from the edge of the rails, I could make the a pass 1/4" deep along both edges. This would leave me about 1/8" wiggle room.

As with good intentions, my planning went astray. 8-O The router managed to wander off line in a few spots, though most of this was cleaned up with later passes. I will use the prettiest rails as bottom rails, since my handiwork will be most evident here. A little caulk and primer and paint, and it should look spiffy :eusa_pray.

I do have three 12 ft 2x4's on hand, so I can re-do the bottom rails if I am not pelased with the appearance.

LeftyTom

Tom
Corporate Member
Thanks, Mike. I have a Sears 6" dado set, but thought I would have a go at routing it. I will use the dado on the remaining 2x4's.

I found that part of the wandering may have been caused by the #8 screws in the router base becoming stripped. When I saw one screw on the workbench, I found I could not tighten it. So I put a longer screw in and snugged it up. Later a second screw (no the longer one I used) suffered the same fate. So off to the hardware store I went to get three #10 1/2" self-thread machine screws.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors