Router Table

Status
Not open for further replies.

thrt15nc

Tom
User
I've started gluing up my version of Norm's router table. I always planned putting it on wheels, but silly me never thought it out how I'd go about that. Anyone put their's on wheels and if so, how? I've got two swivel lockable and two swivel that don't lock. Did you leave the kickplate off? Leave the kickplate on and hide the wheels behind it? I'm up for suggestions. Also, what was your choice of finish for it? I built a large workbench and I used BLO on it. I'm not too sure I want to use that on the table. Maybe just some Waterlox? I'm not thinking anything fancy.

Thanks,
Tom

Here's what I've got so far.

2006_1112routertable0009_sml.JPG

DaveO

New User
DaveO
I fashioned mine after the NYW style but without any plans. I didn't make a toe kick on mine and mounted it on 4" casters. In your case I would leave the kickplate off and mount the casters so you could get to the locking mechanism. I finished mine with Danish Oil and wipe on Poly.
Dave:)

BTW, your RT is looking great, can't wait to see it finished

M

McRabbet

I would recommend adding a 3/4" plywood block slightly larger than the caster base plate, gluing them to the 3/4" thick plywood cabinet base (leave room for the bolts). Then secure the casters with 5/16" through bolts with lock washers.

Rob

jglord

New User
John
There is another option, which, IMHO, might be better. :idea: Instead of putting casters on the bottom of a cabinet, put two fixed casters on the side near the bottom - i.e. a small fraction of an inch above the floor. Then, to move the cabinet, you pick-up one end and move the cabinet like a wheelbarrow. When the cabinet is in place, it is sitting on your nice solid base.
Based on your picture, to do this, you might want to reinforce one side, to handle the load when the cabinet is tipped up on the wheels.

It is true, you need to think about where to mount the wheels so they will not be a trip hazard. The casters pictured may cause you problems by allowing movement at inopportune times.

Anyway, just a though - for what its worth.;-)

thrt15nc

Tom
User
I thought about putting all the casters on as side mounts but I think I'd be running into them all the time when I'm near the table. I've seen people put two on one side and then tip it to move. This things seems pretty heavy to me already and it's not even close to having drawers, tools, top, etc. I just don't know about that. I may put the two in the back and hide them with the back of the table, and then put the two lockers out front and put a short piece of kick panel between them. For some reason I don't want to lose the look of the kick panel.

Thanks for your thoughts.
Tom

Monty

New User
Monty
Looks like you're off to a good start. I based my router table (loosely) on the Norm design, too. I especially like the simplicity of the design for the bit drawers. Speaking of which... just in case you have not found the proper sized bits yet (they're a little unusual size), you can get the 17/32" at Northern Tool (Irwin), and the 9/32" at Lowe's (Hitachi).

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
You could always build up the inside thickness around the bottom skirt to handle the wheels. Personally, I would definitely install wheels. The portability when you need it is nice to have.

thrt15nc

Tom
User
Monty, thanks for the tip on the bits. I have the 9/32 one but I've been looking for the 17/32. I appreciate that.

I was just out staring at the table again. I think I'll get two non-swivel wheels for the back and then put the locking swivel on the front and install a little short piece of kick panel. I'll add another piece of 3/4 ply for the mount of the wheels and that will pull the table off the ground. My casters are the 3" from Grizzly, but I think they're rated strong enough.

Tom

M

McRabbet

If you are looking for a router bit set that will handle most of the off-sized dadoes you'll encounter with current thicknesses of plywood, get this set for $39 plus shipping. I've got it and it is a good quality set (also available in 1/4" shank).

Rob

Alan in Little Washington

Alan Schaffter
Corporate Member
I mounted two fixed wheels under one side of my NYW router table then put a Delta style step caster on the other side. You can get the step caster from Rockler.

If you want I can take pics or find my old ones of my setup.

92051-04-500.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS