Rough Lumber Supplier in Charlotte Area?

JRedding

John
Corporate Member
Does anyone have a source for a reasonably good selection of rough lumber near Charlotte? The perfect answer would be a place that provides both domestic and exotics, but I’ll take either at this point. Everything I find is skip planed and I prefer to mill it to the thickness I want, so “near” for this one is within an hour or so - I’ll travel a fair distance to find what I want. Seems crazy that I’m having a hard time finding this given where we are in the country - it was easier to find on the west coast when we lived there.

Thanks,
John

Robert LaPlaca

Robert
Senior User
John, the Hardwood Store is a good choice, I wouldn’t call it close to Charlotte, but they have a pretty decent selection of rough cut hardwood. I bought some pretty nice 8/4 Cherry, this from a guy that normally buys lumber from dealers in Pennsylvania.

wndopdlr

wally
Senior User
You could contact Jeff at Midland Farms in Midland, NC, about 25 miles outside Charlotte. Jeff has a small band saw mill but no kiln. He was considering a kiln last time we talked, but I don't know if he has built it yet. Jeff is a great guy and may be able to supply what you need.

cheryllewis

New User
cheryl
Does anyone have a source for a reasonably good selection of rough lumber near Charlotte? The perfect answer would be a place that provides both domestic and exotics, but I’ll take either at this point. Everything I find is skip planed and I prefer to mill it to the thickness I want, so “near” for this one is within an hour or so - I’ll travel a fair distance to find what I want. Seems crazy that I’m having a hard time finding this given where we are in the country - it was easier to find on the west coast when we lived there.

Thanks,
John
We are heading in your direction as soon as we can! The Hardwood Store of NC will be formally announcing a new location in the very near future. We are just waiting on a few final details before doing so. If all goes as planned we will be opening shortly after the first of the year. Exciting times! Stay tuned!!!

Cheryl

JRedding

John
Corporate Member
Cheryl - I’ve heard so much about your store I can’t wait but will probably try to make my way up north before then. I know a few people just in my neighborhood who would definitely frequent a store close to home that carries rough lumber. I’m ready!

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
We are heading in your direction as soon as we can! The Hardwood Store of NC will be formally announcing a new location in the very near future. We are just waiting on a few final details before doing so. If all goes as planned we will be opening shortly after the first of the year. Exciting times! Stay tuned!!!

Cheryl
Cheryl,
The Gibsonville store will remain open as well won't it?

red

Papa Red
Red
Senior User
Go to Appalachian Walnut Co in Lincolnton. They have the best domestic lumber around and good prices. It's all 4/4 and thicker. You will leave a happy woodworker.

Red

Tarhead

Mark
Corporate Member

Thanks,
John
There are some smaller, more flexible operations that may suit your needs for kiln-dried domestic species on the map in the resources tab. I live in Concord btw:

SPECIALTY WOOD SUPPLY

contactNo value
addressZoar Rd Charlotte NC
webUnique Natural Edge Slabs | Specialty Wood Supply
emailNo value
phone(704) 451-8817

Brian Swaney

contactNo value
address3412 Monroe Rd Charlotte NC 28205
webBrianmillswood.com
emailBrianmillswood@gmail.com
phone980 301 3786

JPRO Lumber Yard

contactJosh Hartsell
address119 Lanes End, Locust NC 28097
webhttp://www.GoJPRO.com/
emailNo value
phone(704) 488-3129

Mountain Island Wood Co.

contactNo value
addressMount Holly Huntersville Road Charlotte NC 28216
webMountain Island Wood Co.
emailNo value
phone980-225-2288

Slabshuckers, LLC

contactScott Shields
address2718 Ellie Rose Dr Monroe NC
webhttps://www.slabshuckers.com
emailNo value
phone704-776-3796

Bloom and Johnson Mills

contactNo value
address1356 Shearers Rd. Mooresville NC 28115
webBloom & Johnson Millworks
emailBloomandjohnson@gmail.com
phone704-789-3476

The exotic species will need to come from Woodcraft, Rockler, Klingspor (Hickory) and West Penn in Conover.
Advantage Lumber in Grover, NC is also close and deals with mainly lumber from South America. If you travel to Asheville check out Scrounger's Paradise and Cormark in Weaverville. If you travel to the beach near Morehead City/Jacksonville check out World Timber Corporation in Hubert by appointment.

cheryllewis

New User
cheryl

Thanks,
John
Hi John,

I wanted to share the news that The Hardwood Store of NC will be opening a new store in Salisbury shortly after the first of the year. Hope to see you there!

Cheryl

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors