Removing chuck from corded drill

Robert LaPlaca

Robert
Senior User
Folks, I own a Porter-Cable 7511 corded drill, it’s maybe mid 90’s vintage, when Porter-Cable was Porter-Cable, it’s smooth and very powerful.

The chuck doesn’t operate very well anymore, it’s a struggle to get the chuck to open or close. I have tried to remove the chuck from the drill so the chuck can be either cleaned or replaced. I have succeeded in removing the reverse thread screw that locks the chuck on the drill, the schematic implies that the chuck can be removed by chucking something in the chuck (Long Allen key) and wacking the Allen key to remove the chuck. I have tried the removal process without any luck.

Anyone have any ideas how to extricate the chuck from the drill?

pop-pop

Man with many vises
Corporate Member
Do what you are doing and hit the Allen wrench a bit harder. The lock screw was the hard part.

Last edited:

tvrgeek

Scott
Corporate Member
You may find just fluching the chuck in place many times with gasp... WD-40 as a cleaner, and then clean with brake cleaner and re-lube with a drop of oil.
I have succeeded on a couple chucks this way.

If the chuck, screw removed, is just friction stuck on the shaft, I have used gravity of the drill and a metal bench vise to pop it off.

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
Put the long end of the allen key in the chuck, tighten the chuck as tight as you can get it, use a large hammer to tap the short end of the allen key away from the chuck(like you are trying to remove the allen key from the chuck). If that does not work then tap the allen key on each side all the way around over and over then give it a big whack on the short end to drive it out. It should be a big allen wrench, at least 3/8 or more.

Robert LaPlaca

Robert
Senior User
@scott, after many unsuccessful journeys attempting to remove the chuck from the drill, I attempted to clean the chuck in place. I used mineral spirts dipped in a jar to clean the smutch from the chuck. Haven't tried WD-40 and brake cleaner, might need to give it a try if I cannot get the god forsaken chuck off the drill..

Last edited:

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS