Ral CL: Dust Collection System - $150 (New Bern & Trawick)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alan in Little Washington

Alan Schaffter
Corporate Member
Maybe Tom F. knows, but I wonder what design was used to build the cyclone? Is it a true cyclone, based on the Bill Pentz design, the old Wood Magazine design, or something else like a trashcan separator? Unless it is a Pentz design I would pass.

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
Maybe Tom F. knows, but I wonder what design was used to build the cyclone? Is it a true cyclone, based on the Bill Pentz design, the old Wood Magazine design, or something else like a trashcan separator? Unless it is a Pentz design I would pass.
Alan, it is one of the Wood Magazine Cyclones. I taught the classes on building these. While not a Pentz, even though he assisted in the design for Wood Magazine. With the proper filters, they do a VERY GOOD JOB. I have mine with seven of the 6" X 65" "socks from Onedia on it. The unit occupies a floor space of 42" X 32". For the price of a HF DC, you can get a cyclone.

TXnNC

New User
Ken
O.K....well, it looks like I will be traveling to Raleigh this weekend to pick up another gloat :gar-La;, so while I am there.....

My question is...will this DC be enough for a 24x32 shop with several drops (assuring that I use blast gates). I know most stuff I have read said you needed at least a 2 hp regular DC for a ~25 foot run with multiple drops. But, how much more effecient is a cyclone? I figure for about half what the HF with the Wynn would cost me...it might be worth a shot (since I will be driving up there anyway...)

Thanks!!!!!

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
My shop is 24 X 28. The longest run is to my 15" planer which I use outside. Twenty feet of 4" rigid PVC, plus ten feet of 4" flex. Two 90 degree elbows, along with three 45 degree elbows. On my cyclone, I have a Delta drum top blower that was originally built by Cincinnati Fan. It is only 1.0 HP, with a 10" cast aluminum blower wheel. I will try to remember to bring some pictures of my cyclone to the picnic. Oh yeah, the seller paid $175 for the class to make the cyclone. This didn't include the blower unit either.

Alan in Little Washington

Alan Schaffter
Corporate Member
O.K....well, it looks like I will be traveling to Raleigh this weekend to pick up another gloat :gar-La;, so while I am there.....

My question is...will this DC be enough for a 24x32 shop with several drops (assuring that I use blast gates). I know most stuff I have read said you needed at least a 2 hp regular DC for a ~25 foot run with multiple drops. But, how much more effecient is a cyclone? I figure for about half what the HF with the Wynn would cost me...it might be worth a shot (since I will be driving up there anyway...)

Thanks!!!!!

I would say that a DC with 1 hp motor and only a 10" impeller is woefully underpowered for a cyclone. Cyclones actually add resistance and reduce effectiveness of the blower especially if it is old technology like the Wood Mag cyclone. That is why cyclones typically have a minimum of 2 hp motors, and most have 3 hp or more. Clearvue is recommending a 5 hp motor with a 15" -16" impeller!

I suggest, if possible where you live, that you discharge the cyclone outside, rather than into a cartridge filter. If the cyclone works as it should and separates 95% or more, then only a bit of fine dust will be discharged outside.

Maybe Bruce can say if those cyclones were made with a neutral vane (the basic Wood Mag cyclone did not include one). Separation is better and resistance is reduced with a neutral vane. If not, you can add one of sorts without opening up the cyclone by sliding the inlet all the way in until it meets the central tube. Performance will depend on your machines, how you use them, ducting, and filter(s).

A 1 hp/10" impeller DC will suck chips but will not make much of a dent in airborne dust created by and in vicinity of your machines. So with an old technology Wood Mag cyclone you will have a "chip and large dust particle, cleanliness", DC rather than a "cleanliness and air safety DC". It is better than nothing and better than a blower and bag DC. It will get you by until you eventually upgrade. If you haven't run ducting, I suggest 6" PVC S&D rather than 4" so you will be ready to upgrade.

Remember you can buy sheet metal and build a current technology cyclone for less than $50. You would still need to add a motor and blower.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS