Quality Plywood or Lack thereof??

Status
Not open for further replies.

tonyps

New User
Tony
So, I went hunting for 3/4x4x8 sheets of oak, cherry, maple or even birch plywood, yesterday and today. The last few times I did this it was getting tougher and tougher to find any kind of consistent quality, but not impossible. Well, things sure hit rock bottom this time.
I went through 4 stacks of about 30 sheets each, at four different places, just to find two sheets that were good enough to be called cabinet grade oak.
The stuff that is out there is just really pitiful. One side would be fairly(??) consistent grain, color with only a splotch or two of what looked like wood filler. The other side was such a mis-match of grain, color, cracks, knots and filler, I would not use it for a really bad attempt at a dog house.
I missed getting to East Wake Hardwoods to check them out, left a message for a call back but got no response.
So, my question would be do you folks see the same types of quality or do you have an "in" somewhere that still provides quality and selection at a good price??
Thanks, regards to all,

Tony ...

lwhughes149

New User
Lorraine
Tony, have you ever been to a supplier in Danville, Va? It's near the air port off Hwy 58. Purchased my 1/4" cherry there sometime back. I was happy with the quality.

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Tony where did you look? You should be able to find good quality plywood at the right places. East Wake Hardwoods doesn't stock ply often but can order it. The Raleigh Hardwood Center (Wurth Group) on Poole road has always been a good place for high quality ply. Capital City lumber may carry some and can order it. Horizon Forest Products is also a good place especially if are buying a bunch. Jackson International in Fuquay has good ply also. I have only bought good plywood once and that was Maple ply from the Hardwood Store in Gibbsonville. I have made do with a lot of Oak and Birch ply from Lowe's but I would consider it good or quality at all.

Dave:)

tonyps

New User
Tony
Thanks for the info! I live out in southeast Durham county, do not get up around the Danville, Va area much.
When I buy plywood, it is usually only 3-4 sheets at time, I realize I would not get much of a discount. I try to buy as local as possible, especially with fuel cost what they are, but seems like a road trip now and then is going to be in order...
I will certainly check the places mentioned, thanks again!!

Tony ...

M

McRabbet

Tony,

I usually buy A-1 grade plywood when I am making furniture carcases -- be sure you understand the hardwood plywood grading standards (which apply to the veneer surface only) and know that there are also a variety of "core" materials. I would recommend that your best chances to get good quality hardwood plywood in your area would be Raleigh Hardwoods, part of the Wurth Group. Generally, I buy A-1 grade for furniture and try to get lumber or veneer core material. Columbia Forest Products produces very good plywood in their plant in Marion, NC and distribute throughout the southeast to firms like Wurth. I buy from Catawba Hardwoods and Dry Kiln in Marion -- they are about 300 yards from the Columbia plant, but the last time I bought lumber core A-1 White Oak 3/4" plywood, it was $77 a sheet. I usually buy A-2 or B-2 grade 1/4 MDF core plywood for carcase backs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS