purpleheart

RobS.

Robert Slone
Senior User
My son wants to make a sidegrain cutting board based on one he saw recently. He needs 3 strips of purpleheart 16 inches long and 1 1/2 inches wide. I didn't ask him about the thickness but I would think it needs to be at least 3/4". He said he found some strips online that were close to those dimensions but would require further milling. They were over $10 each. I don't know what purpleheart sells for but that seemed steep.
So, what should he expect to pay for it and where can he find some? He's in Winterville but either one of us could go to Raleigh.
Or does anyone have some they'd be willing to part with?

reedlabs

New User
Reed
It would be a long way for you to come but I'd be happy to provide this for your son at no cost if you want to make the trip.
I'm in Sanford, NC - south of Raleigh but from where you're coming from, doesn't look like that would be much different than going to Raleigh.

Let me know.

In answer to your question though, Purpleheart goes for 9.95 per board foot and the total BF for this ask is less than 1. So yeah, 10 bucks per piece is a bit outrageous especially if it would need further milling.

Cheers,
Reed

J_Graham

Graham
Corporate Member
Thought I had some, but apparently got swallowed by another project. I have a few good pieces of paduak that size if you can't find purpleheart you like. Great for accent strips like the purple.
I'm in knightdale.

waitup

New User
Matt
At the risk of sounding like a smart***, doesn't it make more sense to order $30 worth of wood than to drive 3 hours round trip to buy it for a slightly better price or even receive it as a gift?

HMH

Heath Hendrick
Senior User
Check in at Woodcraft (the one near Crabtree), they often have shorts (~24” or so), of 4/4 Purple Heart on sale near the front. It sounds like you’d only need 1-2, 24” boards. It’s also S4S if I recall, if you’re not setup to do your own milling.

RobS.

Robert Slone
Senior User
Reed, thank you for the offer. I had 4 year old granddaughter all day yesterday and didn't get the chance to talk to my son. I will call him later today and send you a pm. From my house you are a little over an hour away and about $12 - 14 in gas round trip which to me is reasonable.
If traffic is moving with no backups I can get to Crabtree in about 45 minutes.

Thanks for the responses. I thought there was a Woodcraft store in Raleigh but didn't know where. Seems like there was a woodworking store on the east side of Raleigh near Poole Road and New Hope Road but I can't remember the name. Jacksonville and Hubert are along drive for me but only half as far for my son.

J_Graham

Graham
Corporate Member
If you're talking about Wurth I don't think you can get what you need there. They are more of a commercial sales wood distributor.

tri4sale

Daniel
Corporate Member
Reed, thank you for the offer. I had 4 year old granddaughter all day yesterday and didn't get the chance to talk to my son. I will call him later today and send you a pm. From my house you are a little over an hour away and about $12 - 14 in gas round trip which to me is reasonable.

Thanks for the responses. I thought there was a Woodcraft store in Raleigh but didn't know where. Seems like there was a woodworking store on the east side of Raleigh near Poole Road and New Hope Road but I can't remember the name. Jacksonville and Hubert are along drive for me but only half as far for my son.

Woodcraft is about 5 mins north of Crabtree up Glenwood. It's actually off a side street off Glenwood on Pleasant Valley Rd.

Wurth is located off Poole Rd near New Hope Rd, but last I heard they aren't open to public for sales, just higher dollar accounts.

reedlabs

New User
Reed

Let me know. i'm leaving to DC tomorrow but I'll be back on Wednesday. the upside over even a woodcraft is, i can cut you the exact size. no biggie. just let me know

Warped Woodwerks

Senior User
If someone is offering the PH, free (?), what about shipping via USPS shipping tube?

Sure, it might not get to Rob the same day, but that might be a reasonably priced offer?

RobS.

Robert Slone
Senior User
My son went ahead and purchased the purpleheart he found on line along with some maple. He also used some walnut that I already had. Sorry, I thought I had posted this. He came by Monday and we ripped the pieces and ran them through the jointer. Then we glued it up. Next time he has a day off he plans to come by a finish it. It's nothing fancy but it does look nice.
I'll try to remember to post some pictures. Thank you to everyone.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS