Powder post beetle damage

agrieco

anthony
Corporate Member
Hi all,

I've been out of the wood working game for 6+ months but the need and inspiration hit me recently so I got back in. I need a new dining table built and my wife was asking for a particular look. I went out and procured some old pine beams to being the table top construction. Being out of practice, I made a big mistake- I overlooked the tale tell signs of beetle damage. When I threw the boards through the planer, the damage below the surface was extensive. So..my question is- beyond killing what might be left of the pests...are there any creative ways to finish this lumber that would look decent...or should I cut my losses and burn it? I know the right answer is the later, but I just haven't been able to bring myself to do so..

thx

8514296E-A5E9-43FB-8710-C55A9DC46DF2_1_105_c.jpeg

cyclopentadiene

Update your profile with your name
User
I would use it for firewood . I am not sure you can cover up the damage and the beetles can hatch later even after applyin finish and destroy the piece. The best way to kill them is a kiln

Generally, I only purchase air dried walnut as it is toxic to them. All other lumber is kiln dried

Southern_Canuk

New User
James
Unless you want to do a colored epoxy pour on top and plane/sand it down to make the bettle damage part of the design, I can't think of any other way to salvage that piece. Kind of like what was done with this Bowl

Attachments

• vzcog6rh55v51.jpg
    vzcog6rh55v51.jpg
    537.8 KB · Views: 118

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors