Poor man's vise?

SabertoothBunny

SabertoothBunny
Corporate Member
Soooooo I am in the process of building a new workbench. It is an evolving concept. Have been wanting a vise to incorporate but as most of you know quite vividly, vises built into the bench can be quite costly. I stumbled across an Eastwood company who has front 9" and 10" front vises for a lot less that others offer. They do not come with handles but my understanding is that these fit a 7/8" rod plus you can personalize it since you have to buy or make one.

Being that I am trying to do this build with a limited budget, any thoughts?

Anyone know if these are worthwhile?

Would going 10" rather than 9" be worth the extra $20-25? (cheaper on amazon maybe)

How hard are these to mount or build into table?

There is also this generic one:

MikeMen

Mike
Senior User
I have been using a similar 9" vise that I built into my bench. I made a couple of jaws of maple (extending the jaws to 14 inches) and a handle of a dowel and a couple of crutch tips. The vise has served me well.

mkepke

Mark
Senior User
I'd take a chance on the Yost over some generic Chineseium vise. BTW, I see the 10" Yost for $66 on Walmart (why is Walmart selling woodworking vises?) - I would buy it now before it disappears :)

As far as the complexity of installation, if you can build a workbench, you can install this type of vise. Just make sure you doublecheck your hole placements for the screw and guide rods. Good tips in this video:

-Mark

Bill Clemmons

Bill
Corporate Member
In the video Mark provided did you notice how many times he had to turn the rod to get the vise to open or close fully? Personally, I would spend a few more bucks and get a "quick action" vise. IMHO well worth the money.

As for the two models you referenced above, I would stay w/ the 9". More than adequate.

FredP

Fred
Corporate Member
I can't seem to put up pictures anymore but I have 2 Bessie 6" vises I would sell. Neither are as large as you want. I sent you a pm but I'm not sure if it went to you or me. This site must have upgraded again. Can't use smilies either. Oh well.....

Chris C

Chris
Senior User
I have a 7" Desmond Stephan quick release you can have if you come get it. I pulled it off my bench and replaced it with a 10" Richards Wilcox.

Attachments

• PXL_20230714_032015333.jpg
    PXL_20230714_032015333.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 72

SabertoothBunny

SabertoothBunny
Corporate Member
I have a 7" Desmond Stephan quick release you can have if you come get it. I pulled it off my bench and replaced it with a 10" Richards Wilcox.

By come and get it, where would that be? Depending on distance, is there any chance you would be willing to drop it in a flat rate box to ship and I send you the money for shipping? I cannot send you a PM, your profile limits me from doing that.

Chris C

Chris
Senior User
By come and get it, where would that be? Depending on distance, is there any chance you would be willing to drop it in a flat rate box to ship and I send you the money for shipping? I cannot send you a PM, your profile limits me from doing that.
Ayden... Just south of Greenville. I made the run from here to Buies Creek more times than I care to remember when I was in law school at Campbell.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS