plywood edging

Status
Not open for further replies.

welldigger

New User
Scott
I'm building a TV stand with a plywood top. I'm going to wrap the plywood w/ 3/4" X 1-1/2" beveled boards with mitered corners. What is the best method for attaching the banding to prevent wood movement?

Tarhead

Mark
Corporate Member
I don't think you need to worry too much about plywood moving. Glue the edging and shoot some brads to hold it if you're painting or glue and clamp if leaving natural.

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
The plywood will be stable, and banding that narrow won't move much. I'd use biscuits to help with the alignment, but it's the glue that really holds everything together.

nelsone

New User
Ed
Glue will be fine. Biscuits are helpful, but leave your banding a little proud and sand it back to the surface.

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
I wish I had an edge bander :eusa_pray, but I don't :tinysmile_cry_t: . I bought the plywood edging bits from MLCS and haven't been happy with them. They do ok for small projects but not a house full of cabinets. Soooo, I am making T-molding and cutting a 1/4" groove to fit it in. JMTCW and YMMV.

JimD

Jim
Senior User
I would not bevel the edging until after glueing it to the plywood. I would wrap the plywood, cut the edging flush with the plywood and then cut the bevel. It is easier to glue square edged pieces than beveled ones.

Jim

Ozzie-x

New User
Randy
You may want to check American Woodworker magazine January 2008. There's a decent article on edge banding plywood that hit on several different methods (I just read it today), including the most recent "new" development in edge banding plywood with the edge banding router bits. The new edge banding bits seem to be an easy and strong method of securing the banding to plywood with good registration and increased surface area for glue. McRabbett used this method on one project and it looked very good both technically and appearance wise. I purchased the bits but have not used them yet, but probably will within the next coupla' weeks on an "in-progress" project. :icon_thum

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS