Pleasantly surprised

tvrgeek

Scott
Corporate Member
On a whim, as I was in Lowes, I picked up the Jourgson block plane. I have seen some mixed reviews but I figure if it's that bad, I would take it back.
Well, other than the expected sharp edges and some paint keeping the throat plate from moving, tuned it up and had no other issues. I did use a diamond file to smooth the iron adjustment slot to make it adjust smoother, but other than that, it has no other issue. None of the off-kilter machining some have had.
So, I got a $35 low angle block. Not sure what for as I have my L-N 102 I grab 99% of the time.

I also grabbed one of their really wide chisels as I needed a large one. Again, it cleaned up just fine. Time will tell if it holds an edge.

tvrgeek

Scott
Corporate Member
If you want a low angle block, sure. As a Sweetheart is twice the price, ( and needs about the same amount of prep) and a L-N is over 5 times the price, yea probably. If you don't like it, you can always donate it. I have only done some test shavings, not any real work.

Going to have to paint mine. That Orange is a bit much :)

mpeele

michael
User
Chisels are chrome vanadium. Same as a lot of not real expensive drill bits. Should not rust much.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors