Plant Shelf - Dawn Redwood (from Kyle)

Status
Not open for further replies.

PeteM

Pete
Corporate Member
This was fun to design/build.
Drawing it in Sketchup was harder than building it!
The problem was cutting the curves in the sides that angle in about 6 degrees.
Finish is just a coat of Teak Oil. This redwood darkens up really quick out in the sun.

Plant_Shelf_Loaded.jpg

Plant_Shelf_1.jpg

Plant_Shelf_2.jpg

Plant_Shelf_3.jpg

LOML had it loaded up about 5 minutes after I got it up on the deck :eusa_danc

pete

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Wow that looks really great. Beautiful grain in the wood. It looks outstanding with the plants on it. Did you have a plan for it or design it yourself?

Dave:)

TracyP

Administrator , Forum Moderator
Tracy
That is pretty, I like the design. Sketchup is cool for designing things but can be tough to master.

cpowell

New User
Chuck
Wow, that looks nice! :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

I've never seen redwood that wasn't stained/tinted. When I first looked the grain reminded me of Australian cypress.

The pics show how the wood darkens, right? (I think I can see light areas where plant bowls had sat).

Chuck

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
Now! That is a really cool design there, Pete!!!:cool::cool:

All of the plants certainly look right at home! That is mighty pretty lookin' wood too!!!:thumbs_up:thumbs_up:thumbs_up

All of the nice curves really makes it, in my opinion!

Great work!:eusa_danc:eusa_clap

Wayne

PeteM

Pete
Corporate Member
Dave - It's my design (with a little help from LOML :icon_thum )

Chuck - You are correct about the shelves. This is "shelf Ver. 2". "Ver. 1" was outside for a couple of weeks (that's why the shelves are darker) but I didn't care for the look of the sides. I like this one a lot.

thanks for looking
pete

lwhughes149

New User
Lorraine
Pete, I don't doubt your wife was very proud of your work. I also like the plants. Beautiful work. How is it held together?

PeteM

Pete
Corporate Member
How is it held together?

The shelf supports are 2 1/2" deep M&T. The bottom shelf sits in a dado cut in the sides and the back supports are notched in as well. I used Miller Dowels on the back supports and the shelves. This is the first time I've used them and I like them a lot. They make a strong joint and are quick and easy to use.

pete

sawduster

New User
Robert
Absolutely awesome !! :notworthy:
I have to look at it when The Shoppe Widow is in the other room or else I would be bugging you for those plans ! :gar-La;

.....and you all know I can't build for squat :BangHead:

..yet :mrgreen:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS