Pin Nailer

Keye

Keye
Corporate Member
I do not have a compressor so that option is out. Really not going to use it that much so I do not mind having a power cord. It will be used mostly to hold small pieces in place until the glue is dry. Mostly where it is almost impossible to use clamps.

Any recommendations will be appreciated.

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
Since I was already using the Ryobi 18v batteries /charger in other tools (drill, small hand vacuum, brad nailer ), I picked up their refurbished pin nailer and found it was great for my use.
Amazon.com

mpeele

michael
User
I'll second the Ryobi 18V tool system. When you say "pin nailer" I think 23 ga pins which I would not use for jigs, I would use an 18 ga brad nailer. I also use a Ryobi 18V hot glue gun a lot for making jigs. I have bought most of the Ryobi stuff I have from Direct Tools Outlet Site

Of course if you have other battery tools you might want to go with the same battery system.

mdbuntyn

Matt
Staff member
Corporate Member
I recently bought a Milwaukee M12 23g pin nailer, & I can't find anything to complain about.

Rwe2156

DrBob
Senior User
It will be used mostly to hold small pieces in place until the glue is dry. Mostly where it is almost impossible to use clamps.

Any recommendations will be appreciated.
Cordless would be the obvious choice.

I‘ve seen a lot of commercially made cabinet doors with pin nails on the back side to hold the joint.

I’ve tried it and it’s never worked for me.

What I’m saying is if you rely on pin nails to replace clamps you’re in for some disappointment.

JRedding

John
Corporate Member
I use the Grex pin nailer and it’s worked well. It gets the occasional use where the joint gets no stress, for temporary jigs, or holding things together while glue dries. It works just fine for that and I’ve never had an issue.

Keye

Keye
Corporate Member
As usual after a few replies I realize how I should have phrased my question.

I do want a pin nailer because it will be used on birch plywood to hold small pieces together until the glue dries. It will be used in places where a clamp will not work better.

Since I am no longer making furniture I find I am building more jigs and run into this kind of situation on a regular basis.

goodmanbass

goodmanbass
User
I've got the Milwaukee M23 pin nailer. Had it for almost a year now. It's a super handy tool to have laying around. I've read some folks have issues with jamming if you buy cheap/no name pin nails to shoot, but I've never had an issue using Metabo or Porter Cable pin nails. Would definitely buy again.

mpholway

Board of Directors, Events Director
Matt
Staff member
Corporate Member
I am all in on Ryobi 18v and have a 23 gauge, 18 gauge, 15 gauge, and finish nailer.

Ricksmi

Rick
Corporate Member
I use the GREX 23 ga and have a 18 as well as 23 gauge Ryobi. For jigs i prefer 18 gauge.

JimD

Jim
Senior User
I like my Ryobi 18 gauge brad nailer which is on the 18V system and my Milwaukee framing nailer on their 18V platform but my pin nailer is a Bostitch pneumatic. I understand you do not own a compressor but do you understand you can buy a small compressor AND a pneumatic pin nailer for what the battery powered tools cost? I have 3 compressors, one is on the Ryobi 18V system. It is plenty to power a pin nailer and is very portable. Harbor Freight pneumatic nailers normally work fine and one of their pin nailers plus the Ryobi batter compressor would be pretty inexpensive. The compressor could be used for many other thing. Other nailers and staplers and airing up your car tires. Just another option for consideration. I also have a small Senco 120V compressor which is pretty quiet and very portable. Also around $100.

Keye

Keye
Corporate Member
I like my Ryobi 18 gauge brad nailer which is on the 18V system and my Milwaukee framing nailer on their 18V platform but my pin nailer is a Bostitch pneumatic. I understand you do not own a compressor but do you understand you can buy a small compressor AND a pneumatic pin nailer for what the battery powered tools cost? I have 3 compressors, one is on the Ryobi 18V system. It is plenty to power a pin nailer and is very portable. Harbor Freight pneumatic nailers normally work fine and one of their pin nailers plus the Ryobi batter compressor would be pretty inexpensive. The compressor could be used for many other thing. Other nailers and staplers and airing up your car tires. Just another option for consideration. I also have a small Senco 120V compressor which is pretty quiet and very portable. Also around $100.
Thanks for the alternative suggestion. I had not thought of this. Might be the way for me to go.

Henry W

Henry
Corporate Member

I lucked into a Direct Tools clearance day (someone on NCWW notified us) a few years. There I saw a great price on the Ryobi 18V (one+) compressor and decided it looked like it was worth the price. That has been my most useful buy - as I already had a range of pneumatic nailers already (16, 18 nailers, stapler, and 23 pin nailer). This compressor is loud (as compressors are) but it is flexible and usable for all my pnuematic nailers. It's very portable and light, and for the "replace or add a few pieces of trim" type tasks, it has been GREAT. For example I installed a carpet runner on my son's stairs using with the pnuematic stapler and this compressor (batteries and charger necessary - I also had these).
This is not the compressor you will spray finishes with, or frame a house with, etc (i.e not for continuous or heavy usage) but for trim and light duty tasks, it is super (I wear hearing protection). I just use an inexpensive (HF?) coil hose directly, and if I need more length I add a 2nd coil hose.

Overall this has been the best system (for me, especially because I had the pnuematic guns already). It is noisier than the self contained battery powered tools - but pneumatic guns are substantially lighter and smaller and easier to use (albeit with a hose/tail).

Gofor

Mark
Corporate Member
If you decide on a small compressor, I have the Harbor Freight 2 gal Fortress (corded). It is quiet and supplies plenty of air for a nailer. Best to catch them with a good coupon. I can even use it with my framing nailer, but have to let it catch up after about 8 or ten nails. One of my duties with the fire dept is maintaining fire hydrants. With the little compressor, paired with the 2 qt HVLP pressure pot/gun, I can spray acrylic paint for the amount it takes to do a fire hydrant (about 8 oz). I power the compressor with a 2500 kw portable compressor. One key if you run out of air is to run 3/8" hose up until the last bit, and use only one section of the 1/4" coil hose attached to the gun.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors