Pencil plane for Christmas - my version of Høvel

Scott H

Scott
User
I have been seeing ads for the Høvel pencil sharpener plane for a while and I was thinking of getting one as a gift for my brother, but I decided I was getting good enough at plane making that I could try making one myself as a gift for him.

The overall size will be 1-1/4" wide x 2-1/4" long. Blade is 13/16" wide O1 steel I heat treated myself. The "lever cap" (or whatever you might call it), cross pin, sole and tensioning screw are all brass. The body is European beech. The sole is only epoxied to the wood body -- hopefully this will be OK if kept indoors. I figure the joint is very small, about the width of a typical knife handle, and I have several floats I made this way out of walnut and steel that are holding up well.

The plane can be set up for use tool-free by simply loosening the knob, putting it on a desk, letting the blade gently drop and settle, and then tightening the knob. This tends to give shavings about the thickness of a sheet of paper (~0.004") and you could just use tape as a shim if you wanted to do this on a harder surface such as granite. Having it be noiseless and simple to set up was a main goal for this project.

The main remaining things to do are just to cut off the excess length on both ends, shape the body (see green 3D printed prototype for final shape idea) and apply finish. I will probably spend some time polishing the brass so it has fewer scratch/filing marks too.

Attachments

• IMG_8358.jpg
    IMG_8358.jpg
    734.1 KB · Views: 92
  • IMG_8364.jpg
    IMG_8364.jpg
    761.8 KB · Views: 90
  • IMG_8321.jpg
    IMG_8321.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 89

creasman

Jim
Staff member
Corporate Member
I have used a block plane at times to sharpen a pencil, more out of convenience (the plane was at hand). They do work well for this. I never knew someone was making/selling planes specifically for this purpose.

Nice job on your plane! I'm sure your brother will enjoy one you've made over one you bought.

Scott H

Scott
User
Did the final shaping on the body and applied finish. Should be dry enough to handle safely by Christmas Eve, hopefully.

The main thing that is frustrating is I kept it extra long and cut it down to length at the last minute, hoping the end grain would be less likely to get dirty (among other things, like having space for fixturing screws, ease of holding in vise at an angle, etc.) I cut the ends off with a normal saw and then finished with a hacksaw... But I forgot that hacksaw blades have paint on them, which rubbed off on the end grain. Couldn't get rid of it entirely on the toe end, it went too deep to sand off. I think applying denatured alcohol to see if I got it all just made the pigment suck deeper into the grain. Guess I learned for the next time I do something like this.

Attachments

• IMG_8373.jpg
    IMG_8373.jpg
    399.8 KB · Views: 60

Wilsoncb

Williemakeit
Corporate Member
Very cool little project, looks great, thanks for sharing. Is the 3D printed version you printed strong enough to work?

Scott H

Scott
User
Very cool little project, looks great, thanks for sharing. Is the 3D printed version you printed strong enough to work?
Thank you! It's strong enough to tension the blade and take some shavings but the sole degrades really really quickly, like in the span of minutes of use. The plastic really cannot take abrasion well. I suspect if you put a sole made of wood or metal on it, it could probably work just fine, but I haven't tested it.

Scott H

Scott
User
Took some photos of it assembled before the last coat of oil goes on.

Really happy with this one. Thinking of printing a little box because I am too exhausted to make one out of wood.

Attachments

• IMG_8390.jpg
    IMG_8390.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 31
  • IMG_8392.jpg
    IMG_8392.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 29
  • IMG_8394.jpg
    IMG_8394.jpg
    1,005.2 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_8393.jpg
    IMG_8393.jpg