Pear fruit tree pollination

Willemjm

Willem
Corporate Member
Have thee pear trees behind the house in full bloom. Interesting to see, they are surrounded by tons of bugs pollenating. All kinds, with only the occasional Honey bee.

896BB6ED-FBF1-495B-BCB3-8B96A1CE6908.jpeg
EAA5D4DB-44C6-4F45-BB08-DEC801533487.jpeg
C40A52DD-C6DA-4E94-9FA3-0F0E35964D2F.jpeg
CCDD2FA7-E851-45B2-AC60-E07DC8CB9CE5.jpeg
8D4FD5DF-30F5-4D60-8AD3-7CFE3269AD28.jpeg
A3B71BDC-D290-4276-B9D6-4970FE53536A.jpeg

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
Honey bees are our most efficent pollenators. But we have many native and not natives that also work. Read an article once about raising pears in an area in China. Because bees had been killed of from fumes from industrial complex, they hand pollenated each flower. Talk about cheap labor.

Echd

C
User
I was concerned this Indian summer we have been having would wake up the pollinators up then kill them with a cold snap. Hopefully that does not happen. I have seen quite a few honeybees hard at work on my peach and plum trees.

Willemjm

Willem
Corporate Member
I was concerned this Indian summer we have been having would wake up the pollinators up then kill them with a cold snap. Hopefully that does not happen. I have seen quite a few honeybees hard at work on my peach and plum trees.
I had that last year, with a cold snap. These trees are so heavily laden with fruit in summer needing either heavy pruning, or removing the fruit buds after pollination. So the cold snap last year did most of the work for me.

Wiley's Woodworks

Wiley
Corporate Member
Confucius say, "He who sprays finish in pollen season have fuzzy finishes." Time to check all air filtration in your shop.

mkepke

Mark
Senior User
WRAL weather guesser says long range forecasts point to a cooler than normal rest of March despite the current temps. ‘If you are planning on putting in a garden, you may want to wait”. Caveat emptor.

I hope my peach blossoms don’t get frosted off..again.

-Mark

Gofor

Mark
Corporate Member
It is my understanding that bradford pear trees are pollinated by flies, not bees, which is one of the reasons for their disagreeable odor.

Willemjm

Willem
Corporate Member
It is my understanding that bradford pear trees are pollinated by flies, not bees, which is one of the reasons for their disagreeable odor.
I planted these three years ago, they are fruit trees not Bradford. The nursery could not give me the species, but said they bear fruit, so I have not been able to figure out what they are. They fruit like crazy, but it is a pear with a pretty rough texture and they are ready for harvest around September. They are not that great to eat, but I guess they will do well for canning.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS