outdoor swing and arbor plans?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dazart

New User
Steve
My mother in law's outdoor swing just gave up. I'd like to see if I could build her a replacement.

Does anyone have or know where I could find some plans on how to build one?

KenOfCary

Ken
Staff member
Corporate Member
If you want free then check out the Sketchup 3D warehouse. Should probably be something there.

Jeff

New User
Jeff
My mother in law's outdoor swing just gave up. I'd like to see if I could build her a replacement.

Was it on a covered porch, semi-protected from the elements or out in the open?

Pics of the current swing will be helpful. Why did it give up the ghost structurally? Maybe hers was the wrong wood for an outdoor swing and simply rotted or the the the bugs got it?

Cypress is a nice wood to use for outdoor stuff.

dazart

New User
Steve
Her husband had made it - I'm not sure what it was made of. Just out in the open. It finally rotted out.

Jeff

New User
Jeff
Her husband had made it - I'm not sure what it was made of. Just out in the open. It finally rotted out.

Is an arbor still a requirement for her (absolutely or nice to have if possible)? Without the arbor the swing could be put on a porch for a little protection from the weather if wanted. This one is cypress, no joinery other than 316 SS screws, nuts, and bolts, etc.

The plan was seat of the pants with a little help from SketchUp.
P9120120.jpg

P9120121.jpg

KenOfCary

Ken
Staff member
Corporate Member
Jeff beat me to it, but I was thinking of suggesting a glider as opposed to a swing. I modified a plan for an outdoor 2 person glider into a single person nursery glider as a gift for my nephew and his wife. The plan was in Fine Woodworking if I remember correctly, but my memory is somewhat hit and miss. You can probably find a few threads about the build in my posts here if interested.

dazart

New User
Steve
I really liked the gliders and if it were up to me I would have picked one if those, but the wife
Veto'd them. She likes the swing and arbor idea more. :-(

Jeff

New User
Jeff
I really liked the gliders and if it were up to me I would have picked one if those, but the wife
Veto'd them. She likes the swing and arbor idea more. :-(

Well, what does your MIL want that's functional for her needs in these later years? You're building it so veto the wife's veto or put her to work making it!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors