Outdoor Cooking Island

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mrfixit71

Board of Directors, Treasurer
Rich
Staff member
Corporate Member
I'm going to build an outdoor island for a built-in propane gas grill and a Big Green Egg. Size will be approximately 10'x3'. I'm planning on building it with 18 ga. exterior metal studs and durarock, with a tile top and stucco exterior. It will sit on my patio, which is 5" concrete reinforced with WWF and rebar. I plan on putting Trex or similar on the concrete and the metal tracks on the Trex. I stubbed up electrical and propane before the slab was poured. The electrical will be a dedicated 20A circuit, and I know it will have to be GFCI. There will be no water at the island. I know I need at least 20 sq. in. of vent down low because of the propane. I haven't found a local source for the metal studs, and BORG only carries 25 ga. interior studs. I would appreciate hearing any experiences with this type of project and any advice on materials.

Phil S

Phil Soper
Staff member
Corporate Member
18 gauge material will be available at:
Colonial Material in Cary - have then call me if they do not want to sell to you
Interior Distributors in Durham on Alston Ave/RTP

Good luck on project

chris_goris

Chris
Senior User
I built a similar thing on my deck. most of mine is made of PT studs except where the heat is. I used regular BORG steel studs there. If I remember right, the grill manufacturer only required them to be within a certain distance, but its been a few years now, I cont remember exactly. I had my countertops done in granite (75 sq ft) I also added a pergola over it , sink, 2 burner cooktop and refrigerator. I had natural gas so that worked out really well for the grill and cooktop.
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php

Attachments

• 2012-11-04 10.55.40.jpg
    2012-11-04 10.55.40.jpg
    398 KB · Views: 179
  • 2016-05-06 18.17.04.jpg
    2016-05-06 18.17.04.jpg
    507.4 KB · Views: 178
Status
Not open for further replies.