Old Level

Wilsoncb

Williemakeit
Corporate Member
I was visiting my brother in law and he had one of my dad’s old Stanley levels. He had restored it and it looked great. I have one as well, but it’s in pretty rough condition. As you can see the wood has deteriorated so I would have to replace it. I think it may also be missing a brass plug (under the vertical bubble). Does anyone have one of these levels (complete) you can share a picture?

Does anyone know what kind of wood was used?
IMG_0005.jpeg

IMG_0009.jpeg

IMG_0008.jpeg

Robert LaPlaca

Robert
Senior User
Wow the wood is in pretty tough shape, if I was building wood levels in the early 20th century I think I would use Mahogany. My guess is Mahogany..

Wilsoncb

Williemakeit
Corporate Member
I have one I’ll give you.
Thanks for the offer, but I’m looking for a project. It’s the sentimental thing too. Can you send pictures? Otherwise, I can visit you. I recently acquired a plane I wanted to show you.

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
Yours is older than mine. But it think they are made the same. I visited a survey scope manufacturer once and saw them using plaster of Paris to seal the bubble tubes into the level. I asked about it and they said it holds well for 100 years but is fairly easy to remove for repairs.

It appears to be plaster.
IMG_3969.jpeg

Last edited:

Wilsoncb

Williemakeit
Corporate Member
It appears to be plaster.
I’m trying to figure out the area with the plate removed In pic below. The obround plate that is on it appears to be wrong. It’s not flush and I think it is supposed to be a round brass plug. I did figure out the patent date is 6-2-91 and the mfg date is 6-23-96.
image.jpg

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
Mine does not have a plate, that could be a model difference or maybe added by an owner. I still think the vial should be sealed in with plaster of Paris. It allows for some adjustment before it sets.

Wilsoncb

Williemakeit
Corporate Member
Mine does not have a plate, that could be a model difference or maybe added by an owner. I still think the vial should be sealed in with plaster of Paris. It allows for some adjustment before it sets.
Yeah, I think my plaster is long gone. I wonder if it’s plaster on one side and round brass plug on other… or, plaster and brass plug on both.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors