Octagon water well covering

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bill_In_Asheville

New User
Bill
Have been ordered by SWMBO to make a wishing well-type covering for our existing ugly pipe-sticking-up water well. Okay, so it evolved into making an octagonal box, 20in high with 20in radius, for lack of a better term.
2x4s for framing, plywood inside and out with insulation between. Has to be able to be easily removed for work on the well head/pump.
Top a roof supported by 2x4s and a simple rectangle, 2-slope roof.
Here are my initial drawings, if you can call them that. (and you see why I have to go to the sketchup class next week!)

Top view of box
top view water well box-3187.jpg

Front view elevation, sort-of
front view water well box-3188.jpg

1/4in plywood for the interior and exterior skin (have a sheet lying around) 3/4 for the top, with insulation on the bottom side. exterior decoration TBD, probably paint.

Supports for the roof connected to base unit with 1/2in bolts for easy removal.

A couple of concerns.
1. Insulation. It does get cold here in the mountains.
2. Connecting the "sill" and "header" 2x4s at correct angles. Thinking pocket screws.
3. Making sure lid is tight-fitting for insulation.

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
Does the well have a secondary circuit for heat tape?
Use foam gasket on the lid made for installing camper shells (sticky one side). Available at the Big Box stores or some franchised hardware stores. You may even think about window sash locks to help hold it down.
Blue or pink Styrofoam insulation is superior to polystyrene for bug resistance, but mice will build in any of it if you don't seal all the cracks.
Treated wood a must for the bottom.
Have some way to ventilate in the summer. Moisture in spaces like this invites mold, mildew, and cave crickets. DAMHIKT
Caulk, Caulk, Caulk.
Paint, Paint, Paint.

Skymaster

New User
Jack
if at all possible run a 110v into it and wire up a 100w bulb maybe ir. think rigid foam for insulation.pocket hole and longer exterior screws will work. Also check out the myriad exterior brackets for almost any angle etc.

Bill_In_Asheville

New User
Bill
Forgot to mention there is already 110 out there. Yes, looking at rigid foam. 60W light (as long as you can still get them) is wht we have been using.

Jeff

New User
Jeff
A few SketchUp thoughts and questions while you warm up for the SU class this Saturday.

1. How will you anchor the new structure so that the Candler winds don't carry it away like Mary Poppins? The new and improved design is going to be top heavy with a 20" diameter octagonal base. The roof structure and windy weather is = an air balloon on the rise!

2. What's covering the well head now, what's it made of and how is it insulated? Maybe consider making something similar from wood that looks nicer, has the insulation, and a lower profile in the wind.

Just a few curious thoughts. I drew this from your pics and guessed at the concrete foundation for the current well head.

Attachments

• well cover:bill.jpg
    well cover:bill.jpg
    101 KB · Views: 123
  • well cover:bill2.jpg
    well cover:bill2.jpg
    72.3 KB · Views: 128
Last edited:

Bill_In_Asheville

New User
Bill
Wow. I can't wait for Sat! I thought rebar driven into the ground with a hook.
Currently there is a plastic pipe about 18in diameter and a metal plate on top.

KenOfCary

Ken
Staff member
Corporate Member
I just covered my well head with one of those insulated fake rocks from Lowes, but its over next to the woods out of sight. Something like you're proposing will look much better.

I'd suggest getting one or two Mobile Home anchors or something that screws into the ground rather than just rebar to hold it down. That'll keep it in place.

My neighbors just put a bright red metal roof on their home and recovered the well head roof (similar design to yours) in the same bright red metal. Looks nice.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors